pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.10}
Leo Liu
2013-04-01 13:52:12 UTC
Hi there,

I have a report written 3 years ago and compiled cleanly in TeX Live
2009. I just installed TeX Live 2012 last night and getting the
warnings:

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.11} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.10} has been referenced but does
not exist , replaced by a fixed one

Any ideas on what is the cause? Thanks.

Leo
zappathustra
2013-04-01 14:17:03 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
Hi there,
I have a report written 3 years ago and compiled cleanly in TeX Live
2009. I just installed TeX Live 2012 last night and getting the
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.11} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.10} has been referenced but does
not exist , replaced by a fixed one
Any ideas on what is the cause? Thanks.
It means that you have a link that sends to an (internal) destination
that doesn't exist; why you didn't have the warning with TL2009 is
(perhaps) because it didn't exist in that version of PDFTeX (which I
find surprising because PDFTeX hasn't changed much in recent years).

Best,
Paul
Peter Flynn
2013-04-01 20:43:08 UTC
Post by zappathustra
Post by Leo Liu
Hi there,
I have a report written 3 years ago and compiled cleanly in TeX Live
2009. I just installed TeX Live 2012 last night and getting the
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.11} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.10} has been referenced but does
not exist , replaced by a fixed one
Any ideas on what is the cause? Thanks.
It means that you have a link that sends to an (internal) destination
that doesn't exist; why you didn't have the warning with TL2009 is
(perhaps) because it didn't exist in that version of PDFTeX (which I
find surprising because PDFTeX hasn't changed much in recent years).
I also get these many times that I use hyperref. They seem in some way
to be connected to the automation of links. I think they are harmless
(warnings, not errors), so I just ignore them, as they don't reference
anything that I can easily locate (they don't identify *which* \section
they are referencing).

///Peter
Leo Liu
2013-04-02 05:10:01 UTC
Post by Peter Flynn
I also get these many times that I use hyperref. They seem in some way
to be connected to the automation of links. I think they are harmless
(warnings, not errors), so I just ignore them, as they don't reference
anything that I can easily locate (they don't identify *which* \section
they are referencing).
Thanks for sharing this experience.

The difficulty is that such warnings don't provide enough information
about where they come from, leaving us hopeless finding a MWE.

Leo
Heiko Oberdiek
2013-04-02 10:57:30 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
Post by Peter Flynn
I also get these many times that I use hyperref. They seem in some way
to be connected to the automation of links. I think they are harmless
(warnings, not errors), so I just ignore them, as they don't reference
anything that I can easily locate (they don't identify *which* \section
they are referencing).
Thanks for sharing this experience.
The difficulty is that such warnings don't provide enough information
about where they come from, leaving us hopeless finding a MWE.
a) Package hyperref provides option `verbose' that can give more clues.
b) A MWE is easy to get:
* Just remove/disable a part of the document. If
the warning does not vanish, then continue removing/disabling.
Otherwise reinsert the latest removal and try an other part to be
removed/disabled.
* Then simplify the remaining page (or pages).
* At last strip down the preamble
Leo Liu
2013-04-03 13:00:32 UTC
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
a) Package hyperref provides option `verbose' that can give more clues.
With the help of the verbose option. The problem seems to be that the
following label is not built:

\subsubsection{Average stratification}
\label{sec:aver-strat}

Because when I change subsubsection to subsection, the label can be
referenced correctly.

Leo
Heiko Oberdiek
2013-04-03 20:44:29 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
a) Package hyperref provides option `verbose' that can give more clues.
With the help of the verbose option. The problem seems to be that the
\subsubsection{Average stratification}
\label{sec:aver-strat}
Because when I change subsubsection to subsection, the label can be
referenced correctly.
Then switch to document class article without further packages:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\begin{document}
\subsubsection{Average stratification}
\label{sec:aver-strat}
\end{document}

Then it works.

BTW, a minimal working example would have given more clues to pin down
the problem.
Heiko Oberdiek
Leo Liu
2013-04-03 20:51:05 UTC
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
BTW, a minimal working example would have given more clues to pin down
the problem.
I'll find time to do this. Sorry I am about to take a trip today so
didn't have the time earlier to get the MWE.

Leo
Leo Liu
2013-04-19 08:50:10 UTC
Hi Heiko,
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
BTW, a minimal working example would have given more clues to pin down
the problem.
Could you try the attached example? I got:

pdfTeX warning (dest): Page 3 has been referenced but does not exist!
Peter Flynn
2013-04-19 20:41:46 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
Hi Heiko,
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
BTW, a minimal working example would have given more clues to pin down
the problem.
pdfTeX warning (dest): Page 3 has been referenced but does not exist!
Yes, I get exactly that.

///Peter
Dan Luecking
2013-04-23 23:14:32 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
Hi Heiko,
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
BTW, a minimal working example would have given more clues to pin down
the problem.
pdfTeX warning (dest): Page 3 has been referenced but does not exist!
Because your example has only one page, and yet you ask the
pdf viewer to start on page 3:

\hypersetup{%
linktocpage=true, pdfstartpage=3,%
}

This warning is completely different from that of your original
post, so this does not constitute a minimal example. If I change
the 3 to a one, there is no warning at all.

Also, if the example is truly minimal, just include it in the
post, don't make it an attachment.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
Leo Liu
2013-04-24 00:10:12 UTC
Post by Dan Luecking
Because your example has only one page, and yet you ask the
\hypersetup{%
linktocpage=true, pdfstartpage=3,%
}
This warning is completely different from that of your original
post, so this does not constitute a minimal example. If I change
the 3 to a one, there is no warning at all.
Also, if the example is truly minimal, just include it in the
post, don't make it an attachment.
I see where the problem is. I'll make a new example later.

Leo
Peter Flynn
2013-04-03 21:45:30 UTC
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by zappathustra
Post by Leo Liu
[...]
pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
(name{page.}) has been already used, duplicate ignored
<to be read again>
\relax
l.75 \item N
ever assume! Be explicit, precise and specific. [2]
Lines 70-80 are a plain ordinary itemize list, but I assume the error is
being triggered by the fact that, by chance, the pagebuilder is being
exercised at this point, and that the error is not connected with the
list item.

Befre trying to dissect it for an MWE, I'm curious to know what
(name{page.}) is a likely to be a duplicate of. It sounds as if pdfTeX
has seen a [2] before...

I added \PassOptionsToPackage{verbose}{hyperref} before the
\documentclass but this didn't seem to affect the output. I'll try
modifying the class.

///Peter
Heiko Oberdiek
2013-04-01 15:54:08 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.11} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.10} has been referenced but does
not exist , replaced by a fixed one
Any ideas on what is the cause? Thanks.
A minimal example would help to find the cause of the problem.
Heiko Oberdiek
Leo Liu
2014-07-22 14:54:12 UTC
Hi Heiko,
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
A minimal example would help to find the cause of the problem.
Indeed and sorry for the delay. It wasn't trivial for me to make the
MWE.

The following line in the `bringhurst' headstyles memoir.cls seems to be
the cause:

\setsubsubsecheadstyle{\normalfont\normalsize\scshape\MakeTextLowercase}%

MWE:

%%--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
\documentclass{memoir}
\maxtocdepth{section}
\maxsecnumdepth{subsection}
\headstyles{bringhurst}

\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{varioref}

\begin{document}
\chapter{A Book}
\newpage
\subsubsection{Average stratification}
\label{sec:aver-strat}

See: \vref{sec:aver-strat}
\end{document}
%%--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Leo
Michael Shell
2014-07-23 11:06:48 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:54:12 +0800
Post by Leo Liu
Hi Heiko,
Post by Heiko Oberdiek
A minimal example would help to find the cause of the problem.
Indeed and sorry for the delay. It wasn't trivial for me to make the
MWE.
I certainly can relate to that, but when it's all the way from April 2013
remember that we generally won't be able to recall what the original
problem was all about.
Post by Leo Liu
The following line in the `bringhurst' headstyles memoir.cls seems to be
\setsubsubsecheadstyle{\normalfont\normalsize\scshape\MakeTextLowercase}%
My system has a version of memoir.cls that is a couple years old.
My version of memoir uses \MakeLowercase.

In anycase, the case change is likely to be the trigger.

Does the problem go away (as it does for me) if you do:

\documentclass{memoir}
\maxtocdepth{section}
\maxsecnumdepth{subsection}
\headstyles{bringhurst}
\setsubsubsecheadstyle{\normalfont\normalsize\scshape}

If so, the case change command is altering some of the ID strings
hyperref is placing in the subsection headings. One obvious workaround
is to use the above style without the case change and then manually
do the case change when you enter the heading text.

Cheers,

Mike Shell
Leo Liu
2014-07-24 00:34:51 UTC
Post by Michael Shell
My system has a version of memoir.cls that is a couple years old.
My version of memoir uses \MakeLowercase.
In anycase, the case change is likely to be the trigger.
\documentclass{memoir}
\maxtocdepth{section}
\maxsecnumdepth{subsection}
\headstyles{bringhurst}
\setsubsubsecheadstyle{\normalfont\normalsize\scshape}
Indeed.
Post by Michael Shell
If so, the case change command is altering some of the ID strings
hyperref is placing in the subsection headings. One obvious workaround
is to use the above style without the case change and then manually
do the case change when you enter the heading text.
Also the problem is gone if the subsubsection number is printed i.e.:

\maxsecnumdepth{subsubsection}

So it seems there might be a way to work around this memoir.

BTW, where are all the people on the list? I haven't seen Heiko Oberdiek
for a while.

Cheers,
Leo
Michael Shell
2014-07-24 12:50:30 UTC
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:34:51 +0800
Post by Leo Liu
Indeed.
In that case, just for the record and possibly to help in suggesting
a full solution in the future, I once encountered a problem like this
with my IEEEtran class under the spanish mode of babel.sty.

IEEEtran typically needs to capitalize the headers. Under babel's
spanish mode, an inserted header line command like:

\setlanguage{english}

became something like:

\setlanguage{ENGLISH}

and babel would then complain that it does not recognize a language
called "ENGLISH".

The solution was to add a \protect to the arguments of \markboth:

\def\markboth#1#2{\def\leftmark{\MakeUppercase{\protect#1} ...

(Although looking at this now, I wonder why I did not place the
case changing commands within the actual definitions of \oddhead
et al.)

Anyway, the problem with doing the same thing in memoir is that
the section style definition macros do not acquire the argument
for \MakeLowercase:

\setsubsubsecheadstyle{\normalfont\normalsize\centering\scshape\MakeLowercase}

Instead, that is done within LaTeX's \@startsection, \@sect macros.

Perhaps it would have been better if TeX/LaTeX's case changing
commands worked at a deeper level just like the font style commands
(e.g., \bfseries) so as to be less prone to such foreseen side
effects (as well as make it easier to "shield" select text from
case changes).

Your later version of memoir is using \MakeTex­tLow­er­case, presumably
from the textcase.sty package, but it seems the problem also
occurs with that.

Cheers,

Mike
p***@gmail.com
2017-10-01 09:42:01 UTC

with different settings, I add a similar problem. The culprit was indeed \MakeTextLowercase and just adding a \phantomsection created the missing anchor.

So maybe the following code would work?

\setsubsubsecheadstyle{\phantomsection\normalfont\normalsize\scshape\MakeTextLowercase}

Cheers,

Pascal

Herbert Schulz
2013-04-01 18:39:48 UTC
Post by Leo Liu
Hi there,
I have a report written 3 years ago and compiled cleanly in TeX Live
2009. I just installed TeX Live 2012 last night and getting the
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.11} has been referenced but does
not exist, replaced by a fixed one
pdfTeX warning (dest): name{section*.10} has been referenced but does
not exist , replaced by a fixed one
Any ideas on what is the cause? Thanks.
Leo
Howdy,

Without a minimal but compilable example there isn't much hope for
anyone to figure out what is going on.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz