I Lyx useful at all?
p***@gmail.com
2017-09-04 17:06:24 UTC
Hello, I've been using Latex (Texstudio under Ubuntu) since 2015. It was really hard to learn but now it's amazing. Now I'm starting with Lyx only for fun. My first impression is that it's a real good software but I doubt it's really useful. I will explain.

First of all, if you want to use Lyx you've got to know more or less how Latex works, since you've got to know things like what is a class, a package, how to manage babel, etc.

Second: it's true you can import your .tex files and run the pdf conversion, obtainig almost the same result than in Texstudio.

Now, the enviroment. You'll see something known as WYSIWYM (what you see is what you mean) that is not plain text, neither the final view . It's supossed to be easier than the usual tex window in your Latex enviroment.
Well, I think that could be true ten years ago, but now you have very clever enviroments for workin with latex, software like texStudio allows you things like find, correct, wizards, autofill predictive commands, etc.

And, if we talk about the capital question, the equations, I'd rather prefer type a Latex equation than a graphic editor like ms words. Of course Lyx allows you to type Latex commands. But the real question is Will you use a graphic equation editor any more? In my case now and ten thousand times no.

So, I think Lyx is a very good software, but ten years later
Karl Ratzsch
2017-09-04 17:46:56 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
So, I think Lyx is a very good software, but ten years later
You don't like it, don't use it. What's your point?

Don't waste your time trying to keep others from wasting theirs. It's
everybody's free right to keep developing a piece of software you think
is a dead horse. (Unless you are their boss or direct coworker. Which I
think you aren't (... but rather a troll under the name of a deceased
spanish artist. But that's not for me to judge).)

Karl
p***@gmail.com
2017-09-04 20:37:56 UTC
Post by Karl Ratzsch
spanish artist. But that's not for me to judge).)
Spain is a very big country and my name an family names are not very strange, so I swear it's my real name. Congratulations for your huge knowledge of my country.
Anyway, nor a troll, nor an evil hacker, only an engineer who likes maths. Sorry you don't like my post, I'm only asking if I'm missing something interesting in this software (not a dead horse anyway).
Robert Heller
2017-09-04 19:00:24 UTC
[...]
Lyx is pretty much meant as a transistion software from a totally (crappy!)
WYSIWYG (supposedly) Word Processor (eg MS-Word, LibraOffice, etc.) to a true
LaTeX user (who would use a *real* [plain] text editor [I use MicroEmacs] or I
guess something like texStudio).
--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
***@deepsoft.com -- Webhosting Services
p***@gmail.com
2017-09-04 21:14:51 UTC
Post by Robert Heller
Lyx is pretty much meant as a transistion software from a totally (crappy!)
WYSIWYG (supposedly) Word Processor (eg MS-Word, LibraOffice, etc.) to a true
LaTeX user (who would use a *real* [plain] text editor [I use MicroEmacs] or I
guess something like texStudio).
--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
That's what I think, but I'm always seeking for new things; thaks for your opinion.