Import TiZz graphic in powerpoint
Christine Niebler
2008-07-23 10:59:45 UTC
Hi all,

I created a TikZ figure for my thesis. In a talk I have to use
powerpoint (unfortunatelly no beamer etc. allowed) and want to import
the TikZ drawing. How can I achieve this, without using the Acrobat
Reader snapshot function or loosing too much resolution?

Many thanks in advance!
Christine
Martin Heller
2008-07-23 11:14:46 UTC
Post by Christine Niebler
I created a TikZ figure for my thesis. In a talk I have to use
powerpoint (unfortunatelly no beamer etc. allowed) and want to import
the TikZ drawing. How can I achieve this, without using the Acrobat
Reader snapshot function or loosing too much resolution?
Use the \begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed to create a
cropped pdf file with the drawing. Then use Inkscape to export it
as an emf file which you can insert in PowerPoint.
Christine Niebler
2008-07-23 11:50:54 UTC
Post by Martin Heller
Post by Christine Niebler
I created a TikZ figure for my thesis. In a talk I have to use
powerpoint (unfortunatelly no beamer etc. allowed) and want to import
the TikZ drawing. How can I achieve this, without using the Acrobat
Reader snapshot function or loosing too much resolution?
Use the \begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed to create a
cropped pdf file with the drawing. Then use Inkscape to export it
as an emf file which you can insert in PowerPoint.
Hi Martin,

thank you for your answer, unfortunately I cannot find a command like
\begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed what usepackage do I have to
use? Or could you please correct my minimal example:

% ----------------------------- %

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl}
\usepackage{tikz}
\pagestyle{empty}

\begin{document}
%\begingraphicnamed
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (-1,-1) rectangle (1,1);
\draw node at (0,0) {Center};
\end{tikzpicture}
%\endgraphicnamed
\end{document}

% ----------------------------- %
Martin Heller
2008-07-23 12:52:21 UTC
Post by Christine Niebler
thank you for your answer, unfortunately I cannot find a command like
\begingraphicnamed ... \endgraphicnamed what usepackage do I have to
Sorry. missed ...pgf... the commands. Here is your modified
minimal example:

\documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl}
\usepackage{tikz}

\pgfrealjobname{dummy}

\begin{document}
\beginpgfgraphicnamed{\jobname}%
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (-1,-1) rectangle (1,1);
\draw node at (0,0) {Center};
\end{tikzpicture}%
\endpgfgraphicnamed
\end{document}
Christine Niebler
2008-07-23 13:36:33 UTC
Hi Martin,

wow, this works great!

Thanks a lot!
Christine
a***@gmail.com
2014-11-25 09:48:05 UTC
Post by Christine Niebler
Hi Martin,
wow, this works great!
Thanks a lot!
Christine
Hi,
Thanks for the post, I tried but I received the following error:

Package pgf Error: Sorry, image externalization failed: the resu
lting image was EMPTY. I tried to externalize 'main'. Perhaps there was a typo
somewhere? Please check that your document contains '\beginpgfgraphicnamed{main
} ... \endpgfgraphicnamed'.

See the pgf package documentation for explanation.
Type H <return> for immediate help.

l.13 \end{document}
o***@gmail.com
2018-02-01 02:26:18 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Christine Niebler
Hi Martin,
wow, this works great!
Thanks a lot!
Christine
Hi,
Package pgf Error: Sorry, image externalization failed: the resu
lting image was EMPTY. I tried to externalize 'main'. Perhaps there was a typo
somewhere? Please check that your document contains '\beginpgfgraphicnamed{main
} ... \endpgfgraphicnamed'.
See the pgf package documentation for explanation.
Type H <return> for immediate help.
l.13 \end{document}
This might come a little late, but it might help someone else reading this. If you match the jobname to the filename of your .tex file, it runs without errors.