tlmgr
2020-05-18 11:06:02 UTC
I install TeX under Linux on our end-user systems by using the
texlive-full package from the distribution's repository for speed and
convenience, in the full knowledge that it will slowly go out of date,
but that it's not important because OS version wipes will generally
reinstall everything up to date periodically.

Updates are rarely needed on these machines, but if the occasional
package has something new and useful, I download it from CTAN and
install it into the users' ~/texmf trees where it gets precedence over
the system installation.

However...does tlmgr work with the texlive-full distribution from Linux
repos? Or is it strictly for use only with the generic TL from CTAN?

I did try to run it but it failed thusly:

$ tlmgr update --list
(running on Debian, switching to user mode!)
/usr/bin/tlmgr: open(/home/peter/texmf/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb) failed: No
such file or directory at /usr/share/texlive/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line
420.
$

texlive.tlpdb doesn't exist anywhere else, and there doesn't seem to be
any way to create it from tlmgr. In any event, user mode doesn't sound
useful on a system where everything was installed at reinstallation time
(and therefore installed by root), unless it genuinely would install
stuff into my ~/texmf.

Is it possible to use tlmgr with an OS-repo texlive-full or should I
just wipe it and install TL manually?

Peter
jon
2020-05-18 17:50:30 UTC
[...]
debian-packaged texlive cannot make use of tlmgr as far as i know.

cheers,
jon.
Peter Flynn
2020-05-18 21:13:37 UTC
On 18/05/2020 18:50, jon wrote:
[...]
Post by jon
debian-packaged texlive cannot make use of tlmgr as far as i know.
Thank you, that solves the problem.