chessboard settings and strange square?
v for victory
2017-12-18 16:12:29 UTC
I am new to setting up chess games etc., but I have the skak and chessboard packages working okay, except for one thing: a strange square that shows up, lower right of each chessboard, viz.

https://flic.kr/p/CZd9d6

Here is part of the code

\usepackage{chessboard}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{MnSymbol}
\usepackage{chessfss}

\cbDefineNewPiece{white}{U}{\raisebox{5pt}{\color{black} $\filleddiamond$}}{\BlackEmptySquare \makebox[0pt][r]{\color{black} \raisebox{5pt}{\makebox[1em]{$\filleddiamond$}}}}

\chessboard[setfen=8/3o1i2/2mUUUj1/3UNU2/2sUUUt1/3f1h2/8/8]

I am guessing the \chessboard method wants to place some other information in that box, but I can't find the list of parameters it is looking for.
Ulrike Fischer
2017-12-18 16:18:04 UTC
Post by v for victory
I am new to setting up chess games etc., but I have the skak and
chessboard packages working okay, except for one thing: a strange
square that shows up, lower right of each chessboard, viz.
https://flic.kr/p/CZd9d6
That's the mover that shows who has to play the next mover. You can
get rid of it with showmover=false.

See section 4.9 The mover in the chessboard documentation.
Post by v for victory
Here is part of the code
Don't show "parts" of the code. That makes testing only more
difficult. Show always a small but complete example.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
p***@gmail.com
2017-12-23 14:03:58 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Don't show "parts" of the code. That makes testing only more
difficult. Show always a small but complete example.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
WOW. An answer from you is like Mount Olympus. :) Molte grazie for the solution and the admonition on complete examples.

- TJB
Herb Schulz
2017-12-19 16:16:28 UTC
Post by v for victory
I am new to setting up chess games etc., but I have the skak and chessboard
packages working okay, except for one thing: a strange square that shows up,
lower right of each chessboard, viz.
https://flic.kr/p/CZd9d6
Here is part of the code
\usepackage{chessboard}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{MnSymbol}
\usepackage{chessfss}
\cbDefineNewPiece{white}{U}{\raisebox{5pt}{\color{black}
$\filleddiamond$}}{\BlackEmptySquare \makebox[0pt][r]{\color{black}
\raisebox{5pt}{\makebox[1em]{$\filleddiamond$}}}}
\chessboard[setfen=8/3o1i2/2mUUUj1/3UNU2/2sUUUt1/3f1h2/8/8]
I am guessing the \chessboard method wants to place some other information in
that box, but I can't find the list of parameters it is looking for.
Howdy,

I believe that indicates that it's white's move. It will be a black square if
it is black's move.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
p***@gmail.com
[...]