Minion Pro font in a book
Add Reply
AndreLTR
2020-07-19 03:14:48 UTC
Hello,

Do I have to pay Adobe for using the Minion Pro font in a book I'm writing using LaTeX? If so, what family do I have to buy? Which parts of this font family does LaTeX use? I use italics, bold and math.

Thanks,

Andre Luiz Tietbohl Ramos, PhD
Bob Tennent
2020-07-19 12:40:38 UTC
Post by AndreLTR
Do I have to pay Adobe for using the Minion Pro font in a
book I'm writing using LaTeX? If so, what family do I have
to buy? Which parts of this font family does LaTeX use? I
use italics, bold and math.

As is well-known, Minion Pro fonts are often bundled with
the Adobe Reader. But if you're planning to use them in a
book, it would be advisable to purchase the fonts from your
favorite purveyor of commercial fonts, such as:

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/minion

Perhaps your publisher will help.

The documentation for the minionpro package explains which
fonts are supported.

Are you sure you want to use Minion Pro? There are many
high-quality free Times-like font families available at
CTAN. Check out

https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/

Bob T.
Peter Flynn
2020-07-19 19:50:31 UTC
Post by AndreLTR
Hello,
Do I have to pay Adobe for using the Minion Pro font in a book I'm writing using LaTeX?
In theory, yes. The version included with Acrobat is not licensed for
republication, as far as I know.

BUT...Adobe now want to license you per month in the cloud for their
supported apps. I don't know if they still sell the actual font files
for local use.
Post by AndreLTR
If so, what family do I have to buy?
Minion Pro
Post by AndreLTR
Which parts of this font family does LaTeX use? I use italics, bold and math.
LaTeX doesn't care. You just buy the fonts you need: upright, italic,
bold, bold-italic etc. You should be able to buy them individually.

If you want math, you probably need http://www.typoma.com/en/fonts.html
I don't think Adobe Minion has its own math fonts (I may be wrong)

BUT...you can download a so-called "Free" Minion Pro from several sites
like wfonts.com. I don't know if these are legal copies or not, and I
don't know if they include all the glyphs.

Peter