single and double quotes together
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-07-06 10:15:40 UTC
This text:

``[a] `cosmological constant''' is a ``straightforward addition to GR''

produces

"[a] `cosmological constant"' is a "straightforward addition to GR"

instead of the expected

"[a]`cosmological constant'" is a "straightforward addition to GR"

This is with a rather old version of LaTeX; does it still exist in
newer versions?
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-07-06 10:20:46 UTC
``[a] `cosmological constant''' is a ``straightforward addition to GR''
produces
"[a] `cosmological constant"' is a "straightforward addition to GR"
instead of the expected
"[a]`cosmological constant'" is a "straightforward addition to GR"
This is with a rather old version of LaTeX; does it still exist in
newer versions?
This text:

``[a] `cosmological constant{'}'' is a ``straightforward addition to GR''

produces

"[a] `cosmological constant'" is a "straightforward addition to GR"

I am using " to indicate `` and '', though of course in the LaTeX output
the same two characters are used for opening and closing single and
double quotes. In the "corrected" version of the input text, the result
has equal spacing between the two adjacent pairs of quotes in ''' which
I assume is correct.
Ulrike Fischer
2020-07-06 10:26:55 UTC
Am Mon, 6 Jul 2020 10:20:46 +0000 (UTC) schrieb
In the "corrected" version of the input text, the result
has equal spacing between the two adjacent pairs of quotes in ''' which
I assume is correct.
I would expect a small space after the single quote, and I use
csquotes for this, which takes care of such typographic fine tuning:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{csquotes}

\begin{document}
``[a] `cosmological constant{'}'' is a ``straightforward addition
to GR''

\enquote{[a] \enquote{cosmological constant}} is a
\enquote{straightforward addition to GR}
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-07-06 12:01:09 UTC
``[a] `cosmological constant''' is a ``straightforward addition to GR''
produces
"[a] `cosmological constant"' is a "straightforward addition to GR"
instead of the expected
"[a]`cosmological constant'" is a "straightforward addition to GR"
This is with a rather old version of LaTeX; does it still exist in
newer versions?
When I have had this problem (as I have, on occasion) I put
\hspace*{0.02cm} between the two closing quotation marks. I usually
experiment a bit to decide whether to use some other value instead of
0.02cm.
athel
Herb Schulz
2020-07-06 16:45:33 UTC
``[a] `cosmological constant''' is a ``straightforward addition to GR''
produces
"[a] `cosmological constant"' is a "straightforward addition to GR"
instead of the expected
"[a]`cosmological constant'" is a "straightforward addition to GR"
This is with a rather old version of LaTeX; does it still exist in
newer versions?
Howdy,

Use '\,'' to add small bit of space between them.

PS: How is LaTeX to know your intentions.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-07-06 17:21:57 UTC
Yes, that is possible, but it shouldn't be needed.
Peter Flynn
2020-07-06 18:39:09 UTC
Post by Herb Schulz
``[a] `cosmological constant''' is a ``straightforward addition to GR''
produces
"[a] `cosmological constant"' is a "straightforward addition to GR"
instead of the expected
"[a]`cosmological constant'" is a "straightforward addition to GR"
This is with a rather old version of LaTeX; does it still exist in
newer versions?
Howdy,
Use '\,'' to add small bit of space between them.
Or \thinspace, or if you use XeLaTeX, just " " (I typed a Unicode 0x2009
THIN SPACE between the quotes, but it may not make it across Usenet)
Post by Herb Schulz
PS: How is LaTeX to know your intentions.
Because I bully LaTeX. By now it doesn't dare disobey me :-)

Peter