Missing update notifications
Bernhard Kleine
2020-04-29 07:50:14 UTC
Hi,

I miss a couple of announcements in the last two days from c.t.t:
Out of these texlive updates/addings
abnt u
babel u
biblatex-apa u
chemfig u
comicneue u
context-filter u
context-vim u
euclideangeometry u
fontools u
kvmap u
optex u
pxchfon u
quantikz u
scratch3 u
simplekv u
sourcesanspro u
tcolorbox u
texlive-docindex u
texlive-msg-translations u
texlive-scripts u
tlshell u
translations u
xepersian-hm u
jlreq-deluxe a
collection-langjapanese u
only five were announced in c.t.t. : chemfig, simplekv, translations,
xepersion-hm, jlreq-deluxe.

I have previously written to ***@open-news-network.org to unblock the
procedure, I was only partially successful and never received any
answer. Maybe someone with better standing in the community can inquire
why announcements are only partially passed through.

As I find it relevant to see which packages have been updated, I like
the information on c.t.t.

Regards
Bernhard
Peter Flynn
2020-04-29 09:05:37 UTC
Hi,
You might want to take this up with your upstream feed again. I took a
screenshot of all the announcements that would fit on one screen:

the procedure, I was only partially successful and never received
any answer. Maybe someone with better standing in the community can
inquire why announcements are only partially passed through.
Running an NNTP server is messy and difficult. I pay €10 a year to
individual.de and have had no problems.

Peter
Bernhard Kleine
2020-04-29 09:48:04 UTC
http://latex.silmaril.ie/downloads/ctan.png
the procedure, I was only partially successful and never received
any answer. Maybe someone with better standing in the community can
inquire why announcements are only partially passed through.
Running an NNTP server is messy and difficult. I pay €10 a year to
individual.de and have had no problems.
Peter
Those messages you have were also on my newsserver. The problem is
obviouls routed to open-news-network.org where the announcements are
Betreff: Re: Feedback for /ctan-ann?lang=de
Datum: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 16:08:35 +0200
Hello Bernhard,
I am subscribed to the newsgrouo comp.text.tex. For years the ctan-ann
messages wer copied to that newsgroup. This suddenly stopped at
2020-03-22. Is there a reason for this? I would like very much that the
mails to ctan-ann would be copied again to the newsgroup.
Somebody else sent us a similar message yesterday, and the only
two CTAN members likely to know _anything_ about this forwarding-
[...]
wir haben die Mailingliste ctan-ann für Ankündigungen und die RSS-Feeds (siehe https://ctan.org/ctan-ann). Die Postings sehen so aus, als ob sie direkt aus der Mailing-Liste stammen. Mir ist nicht klar, wo das Mail-News-Gateway läuft. Vielleicht weiß einer der anderen etwas darüber.
[...]
Ciao
Gerd
[...]

nntp_host = 'news2.open-news-network.org'
linked_newsgroup = 'comp.text.tex'

(auch die Webseite des Vereins ist nicht mehr da)
Gruß, Erik
for the CTAN Team
Personally, I cannot add anything, from the technical point of
view. Only that I am quite certain than nobody changed
_anything_ at the CTAN end.
So maybe contacting "open-news-network.org" — in whatever way
that can be done — might help? It would be interesting to know
if this was a deliberate exclusion or only the side-effect of
some other change.
Sorry not to be able to give any more substantial reply,
Kind regards,
Petra Rübe-Pugliese
for the CTAN team
Peter Flynn
2020-04-29 12:42:32 UTC
On 29/04/2020 10:48, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
[...]
Post by Bernhard Kleine
Those messages you have were also on my newsserver. The problem is
obviouls routed to open-news-network.org where the announcements are
My understanding (maybe wrong) is that the announcements are emailed to
the ctan-***@ctan.org mailing list and there is some script which then
posts the message to the Usenet newsgroup comp.text.tex
Post by Bernhard Kleine
[...]
wir haben die Mailingliste ctan-ann für Ankündigungen und die
RSS-Feeds (siehe https://ctan.org/ctan-ann). Die Postings sehen
so aus, als ob sie direkt aus der Mailing-Liste stammen. Mir ist
nicht klar, wo das Mail-News-Gateway läuft. Vielleicht weiß einer
der anderen etwas darüber.
[...]
At a guess from the headers, a script on comedy.dante.de performs the
NNTP injection to news2.open-news-network.org
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: CTAN Update: tkz-tab
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 17:55:03 +0200
So perhaps someone at DAnTe can clarify this?

Peter
Holger Schieferdecker
2020-04-29 11:59:21 UTC
Hi,
Post by Bernhard Kleine
only five were announced in c.t.t. : chemfig, simplekv, translations,
xepersion-hm, jlreq-deluxe.
First I should mention that I don't know anything about texlive update
announcements.

If I compare the list of updates on the CTAN website[1], the
corresponding mailing list archive[2] and c.t.t. the announcements are
the same.

It seems that the things you miss didn't make their way to the CTAN
mailing list CTAN-ann. Is it possible that texlive gets updates which
are not on CTAN?

My conclusion is that it has nothing to do with open-news-network. There
was a problem a few weeks ago (news2.open-news-network.org was down),
but that seems to be solved.

[1] https://ctan.org/ctan-ann
[2] https://lists.dante.de/pipermail/ctan-ann/2020-April/date.html
Dr Eberhard Lisse
2020-04-29 12:55:27 UTC
tlmgr update --self --all

el
Hi,
--
If you want to email me, replace nospam with el