New on CTAN: plex
CTAN Announcements
2017-11-16 14:28:39 UTC
Bob Tennent submitted the

plex

package.

Version number: 2017-11-14
License type: ofl

Summary description: Support for IBM Plex fonts

Announcement text:

This package provides LaTeX, pdfLaTeX, XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX
support for IBM Plex Serif, Sans and Mono families of fonts.

This package is located at
http://mirror.ctan.org/fonts/plex

More information is at
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/plex

Thanks for the upload.

For the CTAN Team
Manfred Lotz

We are supported by the TeX user groups.
Please join a users group; see http://www.tug.org/usergroups.html .
Michael Shell
2017-11-17 02:54:40 UTC
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 15:28:39 +0100
Post by CTAN Announcements
This package provides LaTeX, pdfLaTeX, XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX
support for IBM Plex Serif, Sans and Mono families of fonts.
FWIW, there is an interesting article about the IBM Plex fonts here:

https://qz.com/1124664/ibm-plex-with-its-first-ever-custom-corporate-font-ibm-is-freeing-itself-from-the-tyranny-of-helvetica/

"Today, the 109-year old company is freeing itself from the cold,
modernist cliche and replacing Helvetica with a new corporate typeface
called IBM Plex. A font update may seem like a small matter to outsiders,
but the creation of IBM Plex - its first ever 'bespoke' font - is a major
milestone in IBM's storied design legacy and will have ramifications
throughout the company and its products. The typeface will be used in
its software, websites, signage, PowerPoint presentations, business forms,
and marketing initiatives. IBM Plex will be available in 110 languages,
in serif and sans serif versions, and in eight weights.

IBM has also decided to make IBM Plex available for anyone to download and
use for free."

Most ironic in light of that famous 1984 Apple commercial where the hero
hammer woman breaks the screen to free people from the IBM monopoly. ;)

Well thanks IBM ... and hats off to Bob Tennent for creating the LaTeX
package to support these new fonts. ;)

Cheers,

Mike Shell
Dr Eberhard Lisse
2017-11-20 09:21:19 UTC
Mike,

indeed, kudos all around.

IBM Plex does not have small caps and Herbert Voss suggested something
like the below (but s/Text/Regular/g as I like the font weight a little
heavier ie Text rather than Regular). Works very well.

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{ifluatex}
\setmainfont{IBMPlexSerif}[% main rm
Extension = .otf,
UprightFont= *-Text,
BoldFont = *-Bold,
ItalicFont = *-TextItalic,
BoldItalicFont = *-BoldItalic,
SmallCapsFont = texgyretermes-regular,
SmallCapsFeatures =
{Letters=SmallCaps\ifluatex,Renderer=Basic\fi,Scale=MatchUppercase},
Scale = 0.92,
]
\setsansfont{IBMPlexSans}[% main sans
Extension = .otf,
UprightFont= *-Text,
BoldFont = *-Bold,
ItalicFont = *-TextItalic,
BoldItalicFont = *-BoldItalic,
SmallCapsFont = texgyreheros-regular,
SmallCapsFeatures =
{Letters=SmallCaps\ifluatex,Renderer=Basic\fi,Scale=MatchLowercase},
Scale = 0.94,
]
\setmonofont{IBMPlexMono}[% main typewriter
Extension = .otf,
UprightFont= *-Text,
BoldFont = *-Bold,
ItalicFont = *-TextItalic,
BoldItalicFont = *-BoldItalic,
Scale = MatchLowercase,
FakeStretch = 0.9,
]

greetings, el
Post by Michael Shell
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 15:28:39 +0100
[...]
Michael Shell
2017-11-21 04:35:44 UTC
On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 11:21:19 +0200
Post by Dr Eberhard Lisse
IBM Plex does not have small caps and Herbert Voss suggested something
like the below (but s/Text/Regular/g as I like the font weight a little
heavier ie Text rather than Regular). Works very well.
Thanks Eberhard! Tis something that might come in handy one day.

You know, given what a "good mood" IBM seems to be in with regard
to fonts, if anyone on this list knows a contact within IBM who is
part of the font project, maybe they could put in a word about the
absence of the small caps variant.

Given that all the glyphs have already been done, it should be
possible to create the small caps from the existing set, (albeit with
any needed kerning tweaks) - essentially so as to make a "real" font
set similar to the virtual font tricks we can do in TeX so everyone
else can enjoy them as well. Well, something like that ...

Cheers and thanks,

Mike
Dr Eberhard Lisse
2017-11-23 09:39:41 UTC
Michael,

don't thank me, thank Herbert. He did the work :-)-O

Here is an updated version (by Herbert) which also works for Bold :-)-O.

The source code for the fonts seems to be available, so anyone can have
a go :-)-O

el

%
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{ifluatex}
\setmainfont{IBMPlexSerif}[% main rm
Extension = .otf,
UprightFont = *-Text,
BoldFont = *-Bold,
ItalicFont = *-TextItalic,
BoldItalicFont = *-BoldItalic,
SmallCapsFont = texgyretermes-regular,
SmallCapsFeatures = {Letters=SmallCaps,
\ifluatex Renderer=Basic,\fi
Scale=MatchUppercase},
BoldFeatures = { SmallCapsFont=texgyretermes-bold},
ItalicFeatures = { SmallCapsFont=texgyretermes-italic},
BoldItalicFeatures = { SmallCapsFont=texgyretermes-bolditalic},
]
\setsansfont{IBMPlexSans}[% main sans
Extension = .otf,
UprightFont = *-Text,
BoldFont = *-Bold,
ItalicFont = *-TextItalic,
BoldItalicFont = *-BoldItalic,
SmallCapsFont = texgyreheros-regular,
SmallCapsFeatures = {Letters=SmallCaps,
\ifluatex Renderer=Basic,\fi
Scale=MatchUppercase},
BoldFeatures = { SmallCapsFont=texgyreheros-bold},
ItalicFeatures = { SmallCapsFont=texgyreheros-italic},
BoldItalicFeatures = { SmallCapsFont=texgyreheros-bolditalic},
]