Reserved Font Names for OFL-licensed fonts
Bob Tennent
2020-07-24 14:03:02 UTC
It has recently come to my attention that the Reserved Font
Name provision in the OFL license precludes distributing
different formats under the same user-visible font name. To
comply, I am currently in the process of removing [pdf]latex
support and type1 (pfb) fonts from several of the font
packages I maintain:

almendra
bitter
forum
librebaskerville
librecaslon
lobster2
marcellus
merriweather
quattrocento
playfair

If you have been using any of these packages using
[pdf]latex, you have the following options:

+ switch to xelatex or lualatex; my font packages have always
been designed to allow easy migration to modern processors.

+ request on my behalf permission from the copyright
owners of the font family to allow distribution of type1
versions of their fonts without a name change. If you
succeed, let me know and I will restore the old version
of the package.

+ create a new OFL-licensed package based on the original
with a suitable "new" name. You will have to follow
the guidelines at

https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=OFL
https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL-FAQ_web

and use, for example, fontforge to change the internal
Fontnames of the otf or ttf fonts. I could assist by
passing on to you the relevant autoinst commands to
generate suitable support files but I have no interest
in pursuing this option myself.

I regret this unfortunate situation.

Bob Tennent
n***@zzo38computer.org.invalid
2020-07-24 15:56:57 UTC
Post by Bob Tennent
It has recently come to my attention that the Reserved Font
Name provision in the OFL license precludes distributing
different formats under the same user-visible font name. To
comply, I am currently in the process of removing [pdf]latex
support and type1 (pfb) fonts from several of the font
[...]
I use Plain TeX myself, and I am not sure why Type 1 format is needed. The
metrics should be in TFM format to use them with TeX; the format needed
for the glyphs depends on the DVI driver in use.

Also, the user can create symlinks if they need to use certain file names
for the fonts, even if those are not the original file names. So, it does
not seem to me such a problem that the name is changed.
--
This signature intentionally left blank.
(But if it has these words, then actually it isn't blank, isn't it?)
Bob Tennent
2020-07-24 17:14:44 UTC
Post by n***@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Post by Bob Tennent
It has recently come to my attention that the Reserved Font
Name provision in the OFL license precludes distributing
different formats under the same user-visible font name. To
comply, I am currently in the process of removing [pdf]latex
support and type1 (pfb) fonts from several of the font
[...]
I use Plain TeX myself, and I am not sure why Type 1 format is needed. The
metrics should be in TFM format to use them with TeX; the format needed
for the glyphs depends on the DVI driver in use.
Also, the user can create symlinks if they need to use certain file names
for the fonts, even if those are not the original file names. So, it does
not seem to me such a problem that the name is changed.
You're welcome to try to use ttf or otf fonts in TeX or
LaTeX (without xelatex or lualatex). This would involve
programs like ttf2tfm and ttf2pk.

BTW it's not any file name that has to change, but the
internal Fontname and possibly the .sty name which is what a
latex user would use to select a font family.