natbib: optional arguments with \citenum?
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-03 09:38:33 UTC
Background:

I don't want to have to change the .tex file depending on whether
numerical or author-year citations are used. For now, I'm concerned
only with something like

\citep[\eg{}][and references therein]{key}

(\eg is my own macro, mainly to be able to switch between italic and
roman depending on journal style; out of habit I end at least my own
macros with {} even if it is not necessary since it makes them easier to
search and replace if necessary, but actually I try to avoid having to
do that, which won't work anyway if they are more than just
abbreviations to save typing, contain arguments, perhaps optional, and
so on.)

I defined a command

\newcommand*{\citeg}[2]{\citep[\eg{}][#2]{#1}{}}

which works fine (whether or not #2 is present) with author-year
citations.

Changing it to

\renewcommand*{\citeg}[2]{(\eg{}~refs.~\citenum[#2]{#1})}

doesn't work, presumably because \citenum has no optional arguments.

Bug or feature?

I changed the redefinition to

\renewcommand*{\citeg}[2]{(\eg{}~refs.~\citenum{#1}{#2})}

which works, though the second argument has to be present even if empty
and I have to do punctuation and spacing myself (but that is OK), e.g.:

\citeg{BFamaeySMcGaugh2012a,RSanders16a}{, and references therein}

(I guess I could make my own optional argument with ifnextchar and so
on, but that is overkill for now, especially since with \citep I have to
give an empty second optional argument if I want just the first optional
argument.)

It would be nice if natbib did what I want, i.e. with citep if there are
any optional arguments, instead of printing just numbers print

(<first optional argument> number(s) <second optional argument>)

Has someone already solved this problem?

Actually, it is worth the trouble just for author-year citations, so I
can write

\citeg{BFamaeySMcGaugh2012a,RSanders16a}{}

instead of

\citep[\eg{}][]{BFamaeySMcGaugh2012a,RSanders16a}
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Holger Schieferdecker
2020-05-04 07:18:19 UTC
[...]
You could use package xparse to define your commands. Then you don't
have to struggle with ifnextchar for several optional arguments. It
provides functions to check if a value for an argument was given. If you
need to test for an empty value you could write an own test command:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/33756

Holger