Curly braces in plain text
2018-01-20 20:45:29 UTC
The conventional way to get curly braces in plain text is to use math
mode for the nonce, $\{$like this$\}$.

But this is not commutative with the current typeface, nor with the
current font — it uses the math characters from CM.

There doesn't appear to be anything written to address this (that I have
been able to find).

Has anyone produced a working definition of (eg) \textlcb and \textrcb
which would give curly braces in normal text in the current font? Like
textcomp.sty does for many others?

///Peter.
Axel Berger
2018-01-20 21:22:57 UTC
The conventional way to get curly braces in plain text is to use math
mode for the nonce, $\{$like this$\}$.
I have never seen anything indicating \{ \} required math mode and a
short test just now confirmed that it doesn't.
--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Herb Schulz
2018-01-20 22:02:42 UTC
Post by Axel Berger
Post by Peter Flynn
The conventional way to get curly braces in plain text is to use math
mode for the nonce, $\{$like this$\}$.
I have never seen anything indicating \{ \} required math mode and a
short test just now confirmed that it doesn't.
Howdy,

Did you use Plain TeX? It doesn't need math mode in LaTeX.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Axel Berger
2018-01-21 10:43:35 UTC
Post by Herb Schulz
Did you use Plain TeX?
No, sorry. I overlooked the plain TeX in the question.

A look into latex.ltx yielded:

\DeclareRobustCommand{\{}{\ifmmode\lbrace\else\textbraceleft\fi}

But I don't know if that helps in plain. Is \textbraceleft defined?
Peter Flynn
2018-01-21 21:34:55 UTC
Post by Axel Berger
Post by Peter Flynn
The conventional way to get curly braces in plain text is to use math
mode for the nonce, $\{$like this$\}$.
I have never seen anything indicating \{ \} required math mode and a
short test just now confirmed that it doesn't.
I'm sorry, quite right. I was using math mode to get the small extra
spacing, and had gotten used to doing it that way.
Post by Axel Berger
No, sorry. I overlooked the plain TeX in the question.
No, it's LaTeX.
Post by Axel Berger
\DeclareRobustCommand{\{}{\ifmmode\lbrace\else\textbraceleft\fi}
That's what I was looking for...I never thought to look in latex.ltx; I
was convinced it was in a package. Many thanks.