gnu-freefonts xelatex old style figures
François Patte
2020-08-02 16:34:59 UTC
Bonjour,

Using xelatex, I put this in the preamble:
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Mapping=tex-text,%
Fractions=On,%
Numbers=OldStyle,%
]

But it is impossible to get old style figures in the text... Why.

Thank you
--
François Patte
Université Paris Descartes
Ulrike Fischer
2020-08-02 17:55:20 UTC
Post by François Patte
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Mapping=tex-text,%
Fractions=On,%
Numbers=OldStyle,%
]
But it is impossible to get old style figures in the text... Why.
the font doesn't have them.
--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
François Patte
2020-08-02 20:14:51 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by François Patte
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Mapping=tex-text,%
Fractions=On,%
Numbers=OldStyle,%
]
But it is impossible to get old style figures in the text... Why.
the font doesn't have them.
The font has it, but in the Private Use Area and I don't know how to use
this area.
Ulrike Fischer
2020-08-03 08:03:04 UTC
Post by François Patte
The font has it, but in the Private Use Area and I don't know how to use
this area.
The problem is not the area, but that the feature is only available
for some (or perhaps only one) specific scripts. I didn't thought
about it and tried only otfinfo -f.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Daniel Flipo
2020-08-02 18:41:47 UTC
Post by François Patte
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Mapping=tex-text,%
Fractions=On,%
Numbers=OldStyle,%
]
But it is impossible to get old style figures in the text... Why.
This works with XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX on TL2020:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Script=Default,
Fractions=On,
Numbers=OldStyle,
]

\begin{document}
123456789
\end{document}

With your example, XeLaTeX warns in the .log file that option "onum" is
not available with script "CustomDefault". Changing the script to
"Default" seems to fix the issue.
Daniel Flipo
Ulrike Fischer
2020-08-02 19:50:45 UTC
Post by Daniel Flipo
With your example, XeLaTeX warns in the .log file that option "onum" is
not available with script "CustomDefault". Changing the script to
"Default" seems to fix the issue.
interesting, I would have thought that otfinfo nevertheless reports
the feature, but you actually have to force the script.
François Patte
2020-08-02 20:16:43 UTC
Post by Daniel Flipo
Post by François Patte
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Mapping=tex-text,%
Fractions=On,%
Numbers=OldStyle,%
]
But it is impossible to get old style figures in the text... Why.
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{FreeSerif}[%
Script=Default,
Fractions=On,
Numbers=OldStyle,
]
\begin{document}
123456789
\end{document}
With your example, XeLaTeX warns in the .log file that option "onum" is
not available with script "CustomDefault". Changing the script to
"Default" seems to fix the issue.
Thank you!

BTW do you know how to use the Private Use Area of an otf font?
Daniel Flipo
2020-08-02 21:06:07 UTC
Post by François Patte
BTW do you know how to use the Private Use Area of an otf font?
Normally, you shouldn't have to access the Private Use Area directly: it
is where the font designer store oldstylenums, superscripts and
subscripts, and so on, you access them with "features".
--
Daniel Flipo