Error on Installation
Jack
2018-08-30 18:17:38 UTC
I have just bought a new laptop with Win 10 on. I have downloaded Miktex
and Texniccenter. They are now both installed but when I try to compile
a tex document I get

'This application failed to start because it could not find or load the
Qt platform "windows" in **. Reinstalling the application may fix this
problem.'

The log file is completely empty.

I reinstalled but the same thing happened. Can anyone help?

With thanks in advance.
Jack
Do I need to be online, naybe, to install Miktex?
Peter Flynn
2018-08-30 20:53:06 UTC
Post by Jack
I have just bought a new laptop with Win 10 on. I have downloaded Miktex
and Texniccenter. They are now both installed but when I try to compile
a tex document I get
'This application failed to start because it could not find or load the
Qt platform "windows" in **. Reinstalling the application may fix this
problem.'
 The log file is completely empty.
I reinstalled but the same thing happened. Can anyone help?
With thanks in advance.
  Do I need to be online, naybe, to install Miktex?
Possibly, although any installer requiring connectivity ought to say,
and detect if you're not.

There is a very active MiKTeX mailing list which should be able to help.

///Peter
Michael Shell
2018-08-31 05:48:03 UTC
On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 19:17:38 +0100
Post by Jack
'This application failed to start because it could not find or load the
Qt platform "windows" in **. Reinstalling the application may fix this
problem.'
This might help:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/270862/

"The solution that worked for me was to update all packages starting with
miktex, and I had to do this twice: once with "Update" and once with
"Update (Admin)" that are found under MiKTeX's Start Menu entries."

Cheers,

Mike Shell
Dr Eberhard Lisse

Mike Shell
Peter Flynn
2018-08-31 21:14:02 UTC
Post by Michael Shell
Post by Jack
'This application failed to start because it could not find or load the
Qt platform "windows" in **. Reinstalling the application may fix this
problem.'
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/270862/
"The solution that worked for me was to update all packages starting with
miktex,
Interesting...I wonder if Evgeni means "all packages whose name begins
with the string 'miktex'" or "all packages in the list starting at
miktex and going on down" :-)
Post by Michael Shell
and I had to do this twice: once with "Update" and once with
"Update (Admin)" that are found under MiKTeX's Start Menu entries."
Jack, if this fixes the problem, could you please let me know, as I have
a section in Formatting Information which deals with installing ProText
(which includes MikTeX).

(Curious that the instructions for installing TL under Mac OS X and
GNU/Linux take 3–4 lines each and the instructions for installing MiKTeX
need 3–4 pages with screenshots at every step :-)

///Peter
Jack
Will do but it might not be for a couple of weeks.
Peter Flynn
2018-09-01 21:42:28 UTC
On 01/09/18 14:01, Jack wrote:
[...]
Post by Jack
Will do but it might not be for a couple of weeks.
No problem, in your own time.

Michael Shell
2018-09-03 10:19:55 UTC
On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 22:14:02 +0100
Post by Peter Flynn
(Curious that the instructions for installing TL under Mac OS X and
GNU/Linux take 3-4 lines each and the instructions for installing
MiKTeX need 3-4 pages with screenshots at every step :-)
I sure know what you mean there! I think some of the younger folks are
losing the ability to explain things in words.

Some time ago I searched the net for how to configure something - an
application or setup some driver. I came across a YouTube video in
which we get to watch the screen of some guy to see how he does it on
his own computer.

What should take 5 seconds and 5 lines of text ends up taking tens of
minutes and megabytes. Video sure can have great value in instruction,
but must we so casually reach for a sledgehammer to drive a tack?

Later on the future, I can imagine a virtual reality plugin in which
some AI guides you (at first with hands on the keyboard and mouse and
later on via "direct to mind") through the 3D process - then we'll be up
to gigabytes and hours, and maybe a lobotomy bonus thrown in for good
measure.

Anybody else remember that episode of the 1990's version of the TV
show The Outer Limits, "Stream of Consciousness":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_Consciousness_(The_Outer_Limits)

Cheers,

Mike