How to pronounce Knuth in English?
d***@gmail.com
2020-05-06 13:01:27 UTC
In Japan, the K of Knuth (Donald E. Knuth, the TeX's inventor) is pronounced
like "coo - nooth". But I donlt think K is pronounced. Do you know how
Mr. Knuth is called?
Ken Murase
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
The University of Tokyo
As an individual who is also cursed with constantly correcting people on our last name's pronunciation, it most certainly is Kuh-Nooth.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-05-06 17:27:47 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
In Japan, the K of Knuth (Donald E. Knuth, the TeX's inventor) is pronounced
like "coo - nooth". But I donlt think K is pronounced. Do you know how
Mr. Knuth is called?
Ken Murase
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
The University of Tokyo
As an individual who is also cursed with constantly correcting people
on our last name's pronunciation, it most certainly is Kuh-Nooth.
I hope Ken Murase is glad to get an answer after worrying about this
for more than 26 years. But does it matter? About 50% of people
pronounce the Bow in my last name to rhyme with "row" and 50% to rhyme
with "row" (that is deliberately obscure, but may be better to give
"low" and "how" as examples). I answer to both and never correct people
unless they specifically ask. (The correct answer is that it rhymes
with "row".) If I were a Perl enthusiast (but I'm not) I'd say that
"There's more than one way to do it".
athel
Donald Arseneau
2020-06-27 00:35:45 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
In Japan, the K of Knuth (Donald E. Knuth, the TeX's inventor) is pronounced
like "coo - nooth". But I donlt think K is pronounced. Do you know how
Mr. Knuth is called?
As an individual who is also cursed with constantly correcting people on
our last name's pronunciation, it most certainly is Kuh-Nooth.
I hope Ken Murase is glad to get an answer after worrying about this for more
than 26 years. But does it matter? About 50% of people pronounce the Bow in
my last name to rhyme with "row" and 50% to rhyme with "row"
Say what???
(that is deliberately obscure, but may be better to give "low" and "how" as
Ah! Ha ha! It is funny, which is a rare joke that is funny when
explained.

Anyway, it doesn't matter how other Knuths pronounce their name, so I
will direct anyone interested to

https://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/faq.html

(It's the same as DAK above.)
--