Active character in output
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-09 00:13:59 UTC
After searching for days, I still can't locate the source of the
following pesky errors. Please can anyone help me?

LaTeX Info: Active space character found while output routine is
active
This may be a bug in a package file you are using.

LaTeX Info: Active EOL character found while output routine is active
This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-09 01:02:44 UTC
Post by Ahmed Musa
After searching for days, I still can't locate the source of the
following pesky errors. Please can anyone help me?
LaTeX Info: Active space character found while output routine is
active
            This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
LaTeX Info: Active EOL character found while output routine is active
            This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
I give a snippet of the trace file below:

\x ->\endgroup \endgroup \scantokens {\def \macroprefix {}\relax }
{\endgroup}
{restoring \x=macro:->{,false,}{,true,false,}}
{restoring \protect=\relax}
{leaving semi simple group (level 17) entered at line 43}
{\endgroup}
{restoring \macroprefix=macro:->}
{restoring \***@tempb=macro:->if}
{restoring \@ifmacro=undefined}
{restoring \***@tempa=macro:->\***@mark }
{leaving semi simple group (level 16) entered at line 43}
{\scantokens}
(
{the character \}

->\@***@info {space}\space

\@***@info #1->\@***@info@***@line {Active #1 character found
while out
put routine is active \MessageBreak This may be a bug in a package
file you are
using}
#1<-space

\@***@info@***@line #1->\@***@info {#1\@gobble }
#1<-Active space character found while output routine is active
\MessageBreak T
his may be a bug in a package file you are using

\@***@info #1->\GenericInfo {\@spaces \@spaces \@spaces }{LaTeX
Info: #1}
#1<-Active space character found while output routine is active
\MessageBreak T
his may be a bug in a package file you are using\@gobble
Heiko Oberdiek
2011-04-09 07:04:46 UTC
Post by Ahmed Musa
After searching for days, I still can't locate the source of the
following pesky errors. Please can anyone help me?
LaTeX Info: Active space character found while output routine is
active
            This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
LaTeX Info: Active EOL character found while output routine is active
            This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
latex.ltx:

Heiko Oberdiek
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-11 13:46:55 UTC
--
Heiko Oberdiek
Thanks. I think the nasty error is due to the way I have used fancyvrb

\***@Line ->\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}

\***@ProcessLine #1->{\advance \interlinepenalty \clubpenalty \penalty
\interlin
epenalty }\box \@tempboxa \setbox \@tempboxa =\***@ListProcessLine
{#1}\let \FV@
ProcessLine \***@ListProcessLine@iv
#1<-\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}
{begin-group character {}
{entering simple group (level 4) at line 46}
{\advance}
{changing \interlinepenalty=0}
{into \interlinepenalty=150}
{\penalty}
% t=639.57648 plus 36.0 minus 18.0 g=616.86172 b=* p=150 c=*
{globally changing \outputpenalty=-10001}
{into \outputpenalty=-51}
\output->{\ifnum \outputpenalty =-13750 \ifnum \insertpenalties >\z@
\PackageEr
ror {bigfoot}{Too much insertion material}{This error means that the
output rou
tine was not able to
gather all floating insertions in a single pass.
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-11 13:50:32 UTC
#1<-\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}
{begin-group character {}
{entering simple group (level 4) at line 46}
{\advance}
{changing \interlinepenalty=0}
{into \interlinepenalty=150}
{\penalty}
% t=639.57648 plus 36.0 minus 18.0 g=616.86172 b=* p=150 c=*
{globally changing \outputpenalty=-10001}
{into \outputpenalty=-51}
\PackageEr
ror {bigfoot}{Too much insertion material}{This error means that the
output rou
tine was not able to
gather all floating insertions in a single pass.- Hide quoted text -
I think bigfoot is the package that uses \FN@ prefix. I will unload it
and see what I get.
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-11 14:23:17 UTC
#1<-\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}
{begin-group character {}
{entering simple group (level 4) at line 46}
{\advance}
{changing \interlinepenalty=0}
{into \interlinepenalty=150}
{\penalty}
% t=639.57648 plus 36.0 minus 18.0 g=616.86172 b=* p=150 c=*
{globally changing \outputpenalty=-10001}
{into \outputpenalty=-51}
\PackageEr
ror {bigfoot}{Too much insertion material}{This error means that the
output rou
tine was not able to
gather all floating insertions in a single pass.- Hide quoted text -
and see what I get.- Hide quoted text -
The problem isn't due to bigfoot. I have chosen to dump fancyvrb for
now. It declares space and some other characters as active without any
local groups; at least I can't find the localizing groups. Such
declarations surprisingly get into the output routine.
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-12 18:40:23 UTC
Post by Ahmed Musa
#1<-\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}
{begin-group character {}
{entering simple group (level 4) at line 46}
{\advance}
{changing \interlinepenalty=0}
{into \interlinepenalty=150}
{\penalty}
% t=639.57648 plus 36.0 minus 18.0 g=616.86172 b=* p=150 c=*
{globally changing \outputpenalty=-10001}
{into \outputpenalty=-51}
\PackageEr
ror {bigfoot}{Too much insertion material}{This error means that the
output rou
tine was not able to
gather all floating insertions in a single pass.- Hide quoted text -
and see what I get.- Hide quoted text -
The problem isn't due to bigfoot. I have chosen to dump fancyvrb for
now. It declares space and some other characters as active without any
local groups; at least I can't find the localizing groups. Such
declarations surprisingly get into the output routine.- Hide quoted text -
The problem apparently has nothing to do with fancyvrb. My attention
has turned to \AtBeginShipout or indeed my application of it. This is
because I have noticed that the problem depends on where the offending
text appears on the page. In fact, I have noticed the bizarre
behaviour that \AtBeginShipout may not show an object on a page if
that object appears at some peculiar place in a series of paragraphs.
I can email my files to anyone who has got the time to try them.
GL
2011-04-12 19:05:19 UTC
Post by Ahmed Musa
\interlin
#1<-\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}
{begin-group character {}
[...]
This is very interesting... all the more because a log is not
compilable ;-)
Ahmed Musa
2011-04-13 14:00:33 UTC
Post by GL
Post by Ahmed Musa
\interlin
#1<-\RequirePackage[verbose, usepox]{catoptions}
{begin-group character {}
[...]
compilable ;-)- Hide quoted text -
Many thanks for your willingness to help. I have used 'brute force' to
solve the problem. I changed the catcodes of characters 13, 32 and 92
to their standard values on entering \AtBeginShipout and that seems to
solve the problem.
GL
2011-04-13 14:44:19 UTC
Post by Ahmed Musa
Post by Ahmed Musa
Many thanks for your willingness to help. I have used 'brute force' to
solve the problem. I changed the catcodes of characters 13, 32 and 92
to their standard values on entering \AtBeginShipout and that seems to
solve the problem.
???

\@resetactivechars is called in \@outputpage that is near before
\shipout...

I would say that this problem occurs when one uses \obeyspaces inside
the \output routine, since LaTeX defines \obeyspaces only like

\catcode32=13 but does not define the active space, which was
previously redefined by \@resetactivechars.

In this case, I say \reallyobeyspace which is:
\catcode32=13 \let =\space

This way the bad LaTeX warning is far behind ;-)

Yours sincerely.
s***@gmail.com
2020-04-25 10:27:04 UTC
Post by Ahmed Musa
After searching for days, I still can't locate the source of the
following pesky errors. Please can anyone help me?
LaTeX Info: Active space character found while output routine is
active
This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
LaTeX Info: Active EOL character found while output routine is active
This may be a bug in a package file you are using.
Just copy paste your file ina new Latex doc and run. It worked for me