Specifying a font for special characters in XeLaTeX
Peter Flynn
2018-02-06 22:26:05 UTC
This document works perfectly with XeLaTeX:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{libertine}
\begin{document}
Conventionally, early-development (α) or pre-release
(β) versions of software start at version zero.
\end{document}

(those characters in parentheses are an alpha and a beta, for those on
7-bit connections.)

If I use a different typeface, however, say plex-serif, which has no
Greek characters, of course I get to alpha and beta.

Is it possible to specify a font or face that can be used when there is
no character in the default font, *without* adding markup to the text of
the document?

Of course it's possible to change the alpha and beta to $\alpha$ and
$\beta$ or to \somespecialcommand{α} that will test for a missing glyph
or something, but I don't know enough about how XeLaTeX categorises
non-Roman characters in order to find a font which has them.

///Peter
Ulrike Fischer
2018-02-07 10:27:29 UTC
Post by Peter Flynn
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{libertine}
\begin{document}
Conventionally, early-development (α) or pre-release
(β) versions of software start at version zero.
\end{document}
(those characters in parentheses are an alpha and a beta, for those on
7-bit connections.)
If I use a different typeface, however, say plex-serif, which has no
Greek characters, of course I get to alpha and beta.
Is it possible to specify a font or face that can be used when there is
no character in the default font, *without* adding markup to the text of
the document?
See
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/323575/how-can-i-specify-a-chain-of-fallback-fonts-in-xelatex
and also the questions linked in the question.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Peter Flynn
2018-02-07 21:24:08 UTC
On 07/02/18 10:27, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
[...]
Post by Ulrike Fischer
See
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/323575/how-can-i-specify-a-chain-of-fallback-fonts-in-xelatex
and also the questions linked in the question.
Ah, thank you. I was missing the words fallback and chain.