getting started with luatex?
Sivaram Neelakantan
2017-12-05 17:27:36 UTC
What is the easiest/best way to get started on luatex? I confess that
while I see a lot of binaries of lua* getting Installed I haven't
tried anything out so far.

What would I have to unlearn? How much new stuff would I have to
learn? and how much package support is there for Komascript, beamer
and other major packages if I switch to Luatex?

sivaram
jon
2017-12-07 02:58:29 UTC
Post by Sivaram Neelakantan
What is the easiest/best way to get started on luatex? I confess that
while I see a lot of binaries of lua* getting Installed I haven't
tried anything out so far.
What would I have to unlearn? How much new stuff would I have to
learn? and how much package support is there for Komascript, beamer
and other major packages if I switch to Luatex?
i don't think you'd need to learn much to switch.

luatex is the 'engine'. many latex2e packages are rather agnostic about
which engine you use (pdftex, luatex, xetex). you usually 'use' the
luatex or xetex with the latex format by calling the command lualatex
or xelatex.

the fundamental difference (for luatex and xetex) concerns fonts. the
most common difference here is that instead of using the inputenc and
fontenc packages, you'd use the fontspec package.

obviously, some packages will not work with luatex while others will
only work with luatex. (both, i think, are relatively few in number.)
i would not want to try to compile a comprehensive list, but some
people at tex.stackexchange.com may well attempt to do just that; see,
e.g.:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/28642/8528

both koma and beamer work well with luatex. try:

% don't forget to compile with lualatex
% (note: xelatex would also work with this example)
\documentclass{scrartcl}
% \documentclass{beamer}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
text goes here
\end{document}

cheers,
jon.

cheers,
jon.
Sivaram Neelakantan
2017-12-07 16:52:26 UTC
On Wed, Dec 06 2017,jon wrote:

[snipped 9 lines]
Post by jon
[...]
Thank you for your suggestions. I will check the links out.

sivaram