Equation numbering
Add Reply
k y Fung
2018-11-07 06:51:17 UTC
Hello,
What command should I use so that my equation number will start from 1 for every new section in my article. I do not want to reset my equation counter to zero at the beginning of every section. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
K Fung
Peter Flynn
2018-11-07 15:04:38 UTC
Hello, What command should I use so that my equation number will
start from 1 for every new section in my article. I do not want to
reset my equation counter to zero at the beginning of every section.
I'm not sure I understand that. They are the same thing. The way to set
the equation numbers to 1 at the start of each section is to set the
counter to zero.

Can you give some more explanation of why you do not want to reset the
counter to zero? Perhaps that will help us understand what you want.

Or did you mean you want to automate it? See
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/207532/reset-equation-numbering-after-each-section
and look at the Answer #1 (using the chngcntr package and the command
\counterwithin*{equation}{section}

///Peter
Dan Luecking
2018-11-07 17:43:53 UTC
Hello, What command should I use so that my equation number will
start from 1 for every new section in my article. I do not want to
reset my equation counter to zero at the beginning of every section.
I'm not sure I understand that. They are the same thing. The way to set
the equation numbers to 1 at the start of each section is to set the
counter to zero.
Can you give some more explanation of why you do not want to reset the
counter to zero? Perhaps that will help us understand what you want.
Or did you mean you want to automate it? See
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/207532/reset-equation-numbering-after-each-section
and look at the Answer #1 (using the chngcntr package and the command
\counterwithin*{equation}{section}
Or, if you are using amsmath:
\numberwithin{equation}{section}
if not using amsmath:
\makeatletter
\@addtoreset{equation}{section}
\makeatother

Cheers,
Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
k y Fung
2018-11-07 17:54:17 UTC
Post by k y Fung
Hello,
What command should I use so that my equation number will start from 1 for every new section in my article. I do not want to reset my equation counter to zero at the beginning of every section. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
K Fung
Hello Peter,
Yes I would like to automate it instead of me giving the command at the beginning of every section.
Regards,
K Fung
k y Fung
2018-11-07 18:05:27 UTC
Post by k y Fung
Hello,
What command should I use so that my equation number will start from 1 for every new section in my article. I do not want to reset my equation counter to zero at the beginning of every section. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
K Fung
Hello Peter,
I think the info in that link works pretty good. Thanks.