resetting footnote symbols on each page
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-03 16:31:31 UTC
I want to use \renewcommand*{\thefootnote}{\fnsymbol{footnote}} but also
have them start over at the beginning of the symbol set with each page
(both because I have more than 9 and also because that the style
requires it).

I tried

\usepackage{perpage}
\MakePerPage{footnote}

which gave no errors until footnote 10 was reached, saying that the
counter was too large. I then tried

\usepackage[perpage]{footmisc}

which failed with

! Package footmisc Error: Can't define commands for footnote symbol.

Finally,

\usepackage{footnpag}

worked.

Since it does what I want, I'll stick with it for now. Although I like
fiddling with LaTeX, I have to get something written now. Still, if
anyone knows any obvious reason for the problems above, let me know.
Peter Flynn
2020-05-03 22:03:22 UTC
I want to use \renewcommand*{\thefootnote}{\fnsymbol{footnote}} but also
have them start over at the beginning of the symbol set with each page
(both because I have more than 9 and also because that the style
requires it).
I tried
\usepackage{perpage}
\MakePerPage{footnote}
which gave no errors until footnote 10 was reached, saying that the
counter was too large.
[...] if anyone knows any obvious reason for the problems above, let
me know.
I think the number of different symbols Lamport allowed for is 10, so
that's why exceeding 10 caused an error. I seem to recall the LaTeX book
did suggest what to do if you need more.

Peter
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-04 05:23:41 UTC
I want to use \renewcommand*{\thefootnote}{\fnsymbol{footnote}} but also
have them start over at the beginning of the symbol set with each page
(both because I have more than 9 and also because that the style
requires it).
I tried
\usepackage{perpage}
\MakePerPage{footnote}
which gave no errors until footnote 10 was reached, saying that the
counter was too large.
[...] if anyone knows any obvious reason for the problems above, let
me know.
I think the number of different symbols Lamport allowed for is 10, so
that's why exceeding 10 caused an error. I seem to recall the LaTeX book
did suggest what to do if you need more.
Actually, since I want them to start over on every page anyway, and
don't need more than 10 per page, the last solution above works. I'm
not sure why the others don't, but it's not worth worrying about now.