Help please: bibtex not working
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-21 13:18:10 UTC
I have acquired a new computer, reinstalled Miktex and set up the "Path" environmental variable for the folder which contains by "BIB" file of references.

But now a Latex source file which was working perfectly does not produce citations (they appear as [?]) and it does not produce a list of references. The same is true for another source file which was working well.

I thought it might be a problem with the "Path" environmental for the folder in which the "BIB" file is kept. But I have tested this and it is working well.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.
Ronnie Marksch
2018-06-21 13:30:26 UTC
What is the output when you execute bibtex?
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-21 15:14:32 UTC
Post by Gerry Wolff
I have acquired a new computer, reinstalled Miktex and set up the "Path" environmental variable for the folder which contains by "BIB" file of references.
But now a Latex source file which was working perfectly does not produce citations (they appear as [?]) and it does not produce a list of references. The same is true for another source file which was working well.
I thought it might be a problem with the "Path" environmental for the folder in which the "BIB" file is kept. But I have tested this and it is working well.
Any suggestions will be very welcome.
The output file appears, as normal, but all the citations are "[?]" and there is no list of references, apart from the heading.

Gerry
Ronnie Marksch
Gerry
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-22 08:39:46 UTC
Post by Gerry Wolff
I have acquired a new computer, reinstalled Miktex and set up the "Path" environmental variable for the folder which contains by "BIB" file of references.
But now a Latex source file which was working perfectly does not produce citations (they appear as [?]) and it does not produce a list of references. The same is true for another source file which was working well.
I thought it might be a problem with the "Path" environmental for the folder in which the "BIB" file is kept. But I have tested this and it is working well.
Any suggestions will be very welcome.
The solution seems to be to add BIBINPUTS to the list of environmental variables, with the path to the folder where the BIB file is stored. I have done this now and everything works fine.

Many thanks.
Axel Berger
2018-06-21 13:32:38 UTC
Post by Gerry Wolff
Any suggestions will be very welcome.
The first thing I'd do is place all files (or copies of them) you
suspect are not found in the document folder. If it works then, you know
the error is in the file search, if not, it has to be something else.
--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-21 15:15:08 UTC
Post by Axel Berger
Post by Gerry Wolff
Any suggestions will be very welcome.
The first thing I'd do is place all files (or copies of them) you
suspect are not found in the document folder. If it works then, you know
the error is in the file search, if not, it has to be something else.
--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
 X in | D-50829 Köln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this.

Gerry
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-21 15:21:49 UTC
Post by Gerry Wolff
Post by Axel Berger
Post by Gerry Wolff
Any suggestions will be very welcome.
The first thing I'd do is place all files (or copies of them) you
suspect are not found in the document folder. If it works then, you know
the error is in the file search, if not, it has to be something else.
--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
 X in | D-50829 Köln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this.
Gerry
I've tried it just now and it works! I get all my citations and the list of references.

So the system is not finding the bib file. Which is puzzling because I have tested the relevant path, outside the Latex sysem, and it works OK.

But your helpful suggestion has narrowed down the possibilities.

Many thanks,

Gerry
Peter Flynn
2018-06-22 00:15:39 UTC
On 21/06/18 16:21, Gerry Wolff wrote:
[...]
Post by Gerry Wolff
I've tried it just now and it works! I get all my citations and the list of references.
So the system is not finding the bib file. Which is puzzling because
I have tested the relevant path, outside the Latex sysem, and it
works OK.
I'm glad it's working, but it's not puzzling: the system path and where
LaTeX looks are two different, separate, and unrelated things. I don't
think that setting %PATH% is going to achieve anything for LaTeX: its
use is to set folders to find binaries, not data, as far as I remember.

I know that my default path for images is ~/texmf/tex/generic but that's
on a Unix-based system like Apple Mac or Linux. I believe
C:\texmf\tex\generic works on old Windows (and
Computer\System\Users\your~name\texmf\tex\generic on Win10) but only
under TeX Live, not MiKTeX. I have never tried it for .bib files.

MikTeX has its own set of paths which you specify in the application
settings manager, so perhaps one of them might apply to .bib files — ask
on the MikTeX mailing list.

And let us know — the wider this kind of information is spread, the
better for everyone.

///Peter
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-22 08:36:30 UTC
[...]
Post by Gerry Wolff
[...]
Many thanks for these points.

When I installed Miktex in a new computer that I have just bought, I found that it had added a new path (to the Miktex software) to the "Path" environmental variable for Windows 10. So it looks as if Miktex does use the same path mechanism that Windows uses. With my old computer and an older version of Miktex, it was always necessary to provide a Windows path for the BIB file or files.

But having said all that, it appears that you are right! I have added BIBINPUTS to the list of environmental variables as you suggest, and now everything is working fine.

Many thanks,

Gerry
Peter Flynn
2018-06-22 19:32:24 UTC
On 22/06/18 09:36, Gerry Wolff wrote:
[...]
Post by Gerry Wolff
When I installed Miktex in a new computer that I have just bought, I
found that it had added a new path (to the Miktex software) to the
"Path" environmental variable for Windows 10. So it looks as if
Miktex does use the same path mechanism that Windows uses.
Yes, that's what Windows uses to find binaries (executable programs and
scripts).
Post by Gerry Wolff
With my old computer and an older version of Miktex, it was always
necessary to provide a Windows path for the BIB file or files.
But having said all that, it appears that you are right! I have
added BIBINPUTS to the list of environmental variables as you
suggest, and now everything is working fine.
Excellent, thanks. I can add this to my documentation. It's one of the
standard variable in the setup on TeX for Linux but I didn't realise
MikTeX had adopted them as well.

///Peter
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-23 11:12:56 UTC
[...]
Post by Gerry Wolff
With my old computer and an older version of Miktex, it was always
necessary to provide a Windows path for the BIB file or files.
But having said all that, it appears that you are right! I have
added BIBINPUTS to the list of environmental variables as you
suggest, and now everything is working fine.
Excellent, thanks. I can add this to my documentation. It's one of the
standard variable in the setup on TeX for Linux but I didn't realise
MikTeX had adopted them as well.
///Peter
Many thanks for your help.

Gerry
Peter Flynn
2018-06-27 21:00:05 UTC
[...]
Post by Peter Flynn
Excellent, thanks. I can add this to my documentation. It's one of the
standard variable in the setup on TeX for Linux but I didn't realise
MikTeX had adopted them as well.
I have added this at
http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/xrefs.html#bibinputs

I don't have access to a MikTeX installation at the moment: could
someone using it please email me to say where the default location for
BIBINPUTS is. Presumably it can be changed or added to in the MiKTeX
Options maintenance program...

///Peter
Holger Schieferdecker
2018-06-28 07:49:14 UTC
I don't have access to a MikTeX installation at the moment: could
someone using it please email me to say where the default location for
BIBINPUTS is. Presumably it can be changed or added to in the MiKTeX
Options maintenance program...
In my MiKTeX installation the environment variable BIBINPUTS seems to be
undefined. At least at the Windows command prompt I don't see anything
related after typing "set".

The new maintenance program MiKTeX Console doesn't seem to have a
possibility to set environment variables. I guess one has to do it using
the Windows system settings.

Holger
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-28 08:24:16 UTC
Post by Holger Schieferdecker
Post by Peter Flynn
I don't have access to a MikTeX installation at the moment: could
someone using it please email me to say where the default location for
BIBINPUTS is. Presumably it can be changed or added to in the MiKTeX
Options maintenance program...
In my MiKTeX installation the environment variable BIBINPUTS seems to be
undefined. At least at the Windows command prompt I don't see anything
related after typing "set".
The new maintenance program MiKTeX Console doesn't seem to have a
possibility to set environment variables. I guess one has to do it using
the Windows system settings.
Holger
You can add BIBINPUTS to Windows 10 "environmental variables", alongside "Path" etc.

Gerry
Holger Schieferdecker
2018-06-28 10:03:44 UTC
Post by Peter Flynn
I don't have access to a MikTeX installation at the moment: could
someone using it please email me to say where the default location for
BIBINPUTS is. Presumably it can be changed or added to in the MiKTeX
Options maintenance program...
In my MiKTeX installation the environment variable BIBINPUTS seems to be
undefined. At least at the Windows command prompt I don't see anything
related after typing "set".
The new maintenance program MiKTeX Console doesn't seem to have a
possibility to set environment variables. I guess one has to do it using
the Windows system settings.
Holger
You can add BIBINPUTS to Windows 10 "environmental variables", alongside "Path" etc.
Thanks, it's the same for Windows 7 (I don't use Windwos 10).
My main intention was to point out that a MiKTeX installation seems to
have no default setting for BIBINPUTS. Unlike it is in Linux according
to the page Peter linked to.

Holger
Peter Flynn
2018-06-28 21:03:28 UTC
Post by Holger Schieferdecker
In my MiKTeX installation the environment variable BIBINPUTS seems to
be undefined. [...] The new maintenance program MiKTeX Console
doesn't seem to have a possibility to set environment variables. I
guess one has to do it using the Windows system settings.
You can add BIBINPUTS to Windows 10 "environmental variables",
alongside "Path" etc.
[...] it's the same for Windows 7 (I don't use Windows 10). My main
intention was to point out that a MiKTeX installation seems to have
no default setting for BIBINPUTS.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. It's a global Windows
environment variable, not something that's only active within the MiKTeX
binaries.

Page updated.

///Peter
Herb Schulz
2018-06-29 14:31:46 UTC
Post by Holger Schieferdecker
In my MiKTeX installation the environment variable BIBINPUTS seems to
be undefined. [...] The new maintenance program MiKTeX Console
doesn't seem to have a possibility to set environment variables. I
guess one has to do it using the Windows system settings.
You can add BIBINPUTS to Windows 10 "environmental variables", alongside "Path" etc.
[...] it's the same for Windows 7 (I don't use Windows 10). My main
intention was to point out that a MiKTeX installation seems to have
no default setting for BIBINPUTS.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. It's a global Windows
environment variable, not something that's only active within the MiKTeX
binaries.
Page updated.
///Peter
Howdy,

I'm not a user of MikTeX but with TeX Live you can find the built-in value of
BIBINPUTS using

kpsewhich -var-value=BIBINPUTS

from the command line.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

Ulrike Fischer
2018-06-22 07:55:54 UTC
Post by Gerry Wolff
So the system is not finding the bib file. Which is puzzling
because I have tested the relevant path, outside the Latex sysem,
and it works OK.
bibtex doesn't use the variable "PATH", but "BIBINPUTS" to find
external bibfiles.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Gerry Wolff
2018-06-22 08:37:53 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by Gerry Wolff
So the system is not finding the bib file. Which is puzzling
because I have tested the relevant path, outside the Latex sysem,
and it works OK.
bibtex doesn't use the variable "PATH", but "BIBINPUTS" to find
external bibfiles.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Yes, you are right. I have added BIBINPUTS to the list of environmental variables as you suggest, and now everything is working fine.

Many thanks,

Gerry