Problem installing TexLive fonts with tlmgr on Ubunu 18.04
j***@gmail.com
2020-08-02 02:12:49 UTC
Installing TexLive with the following:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install xzdec texlive texlive-base
$ tlmgr init-usertree
$ sudo tlmgr option repository ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2017/tlnet-final

(Last line necessary to avoid error due to 2020 packages on 2017 distro)

This distro works fine and adding packages works fine too. For instance:

$ tlmgr install csvsimple pgf fontaxes lastpage ulem

But when I try to install font packages like:

$ tlmgr install quattrocento

gives the error:

tlmgr: updmap failed (status 1), output:
updmap [ERROR]: Either -sys or -user mode is required.
updmap [ERROR]: In nearly all cases you should use updmap -sys.
updmap [ERROR]: For special cases see http://tug.org/texlive/scripts-sys-user.html

So I try to manually generate the map file with

$ sudo updmap -sys

But when compiling a latex file using the quattrocento font getting:

mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for QuattrocentoRegular-tlf-t1--base.

Any advice, coming from MikTex on Windows so new to this...

thanks!
John
Bob Tennent
2020-08-02 10:14:03 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install xzdec texlive texlive-base
$ tlmgr init-usertree
$ sudo tlmgr option repository
ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2017/tlnet-final
(Last line necessary to avoid error due to 2020 packages on 2017 distro)
$ tlmgr install csvsimple pgf fontaxes lastpage ulem
$ tlmgr install quattrocento
updmap [ERROR]: Either -sys or -user mode is required.
updmap [ERROR]: In nearly all cases you should use updmap -sys.
updmap [ERROR]: For special cases see http://tug.org/texlive/scripts-sys-user.html
So I try to manually generate the map file with
$ sudo updmap -sys
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for QuattrocentoRegular-tlf-t1--base.
Any advice, coming from MikTex on Windows so new to this...
If you install texlive using the Ubuntu package manager,
you should be using the Ubuntu package manager not tlmgr to
manage your installation. Or install texlive directly from
the tug site and use tlmgr.

The quattrocento font package is one of about a dozen from
which I had to remove [pdf]latex support and artificially
generated variants because of a licensing issue. I have been
restoring [pdf]latex support and artificially generated
variants but it requires re-building the packages to use
re-named fonts and this is still on-going. Use texlive from
tug.org and update using tlmgr and you'll get quattrocento
and eventually all of the font packages working as before.

Bob Tennent
Peter Flynn
2020-08-02 11:19:40 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install xzdec texlive texlive-base
$ tlmgr init-usertree
$ sudo tlmgr option repository ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2017/tlnet-final
(Last line necessary to avoid error due to 2020 packages on 2017 distro)
I wasn't aware of that problem. Normally you cannot mix an installation
done from your Linux distribution's Linux package manager with tlmgr
because one does not know of the existence of the other (so I'm actually
surprised your tlmgr command did anything meaningful :-)
Post by j***@gmail.com
$ tlmgr install csvsimple pgf fontaxes lastpage ulem
$ tlmgr install quattrocento
updmap [ERROR]: Either -sys or -user mode is required.
updmap [ERROR]: In nearly all cases you should use updmap -sys.
updmap [ERROR]: For special cases see http://tug.org/texlive/scripts-sys-user.html
OK, so the problem is perhaps not downloading the font files and putting
them in "the right place"...it's in activating the typeface in the map
files.

I'm assuming that all the font files and support files in the
quattrocento package *have* been put in all the right places, and that
the texhash or mktexlsr directory indexer has been run.
Post by j***@gmail.com
So I try to manually generate the map file with
$ sudo updmap -sys
That needs the font specifying, eg

updmap --enable Map=quattrocento.map

(or sudo updmap -sys --enable Map=quattrocento.map)
Post by j***@gmail.com
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for QuattrocentoRegular-tlf-t1--base.
Right. Without the font map entries LaTeX doesn't know where the fonts
are, so it assumes they are unmapped METAFONT fonts for which it needs
to create .tfm and .pk files, and it can't find
QuattrocentoRegular-tlf-t1--base.mf because there is no such thing.
Post by j***@gmail.com
Any advice, coming from MikTex on Windows so new to this...
1. check that you do in fact have all the contents of the quattrocento
package downloaded and installed in places visible to your TeX
installation. You can check this by downloading from
https://ctan.org/pkg/quattrocento?lang=en the file quattrocento.tds.zip
and viewing the contents: it will show all the files and the directories
in which they should normally be, so you can check them off against your
file system.

2. If they're all there, check that TeX can see them, eg

$ kpsewhich quattrocento.map
$ kpsewhich Quattrocento.otf
$ kpsewhich QuattrocentoRegular.pfb
$ kpsewhich quattrocento.sty

(case-sensitive). If they're all there, try the updmap command as above.

You only need this if you are using pdflatex with the Postscript Type 1
fonts. If you are using XeLaTeX and the OTF fonts, and your TeX
installed fonts are in a location known to fc¹, you just update your
system font cache with

$ sudo fc-cache -frv

Peter
--
¹ See
http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/fontuse.html#xlxfontsetup
John Ervin
2020-08-02 21:51:10 UTC
Bob, Peter,

Thank you for your replies. Switched to TL 2020 to solve the problem. Was about 600 MByte install, which seems large, I suppose. Notes from the successful install below:

### LaTeX
We will use [texlive](https://www.tug.org/texlive/) for our tex/latex. Had trouble getting this working from the ubuntu repos so will use the latest texlive version.

Download the install script from [here](https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html)
```
$ wget http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz
$ tar xvf install-tl-unx.tar.gz
$ cd install-tl-20200802
$ sudo mkdir /usr/local/texlive
$ sudo chown $USER:$USER /usr/local/texlive
$ perl install-tl
```
This opens the interface for the texlive installation which uses letters as options:
1. Press `C` on Select collections, then press `-` to deselect all, then select `a` (Essential programs and files), `b` (BibTex addtional styles), `p` (US and UK English), `D` (LaTeX fundamental packages) then 'R' to return to main menu
2. Press `O` on options: then `P` (use letter size instead of A4 by default) then 'R' to return to main menu.
3. Press `I` to install.

This is a ca. 600 MB installation. Local documentation is found [here](/usr/local/texlive/2020/index.html)
Now need to setup the paths. Adding to bottom of ~/.bashrc
```
TL_PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2020/bin/x86_64-linux
TL_MAN=/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/doc/man
TL_INFO=/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/doc/info
export PATH="$TL_DIR:$PATH"
export MANPATH="$TL_MAN:$MANPATH"
export INFOPATH="$TL_INFO:$INFOPATH"
```
Apply changes
```
. ~/.bashrc
```

Need to initialize the usertree which will create the `~\texmf` directory
```
$ tlmgr init-usertree
```
Now can install whatever packages are necessary.

```
$ tlmgr install <package1> <package2> ...
$ tlmgr remove <package1> <package2> ...
```
Installed
`csvsimple pgf quattrocento fontaxes lastpage ulem xkeyval`
Peter Flynn
2020-08-03 20:32:12 UTC
Post by John Ervin
Bob, Peter,
Excellent. I may come back to you to borrow some of this for _Formatting
Information_ if I may.

My only misgiving about installing from outside the distribution repos
is that none of the other software that relies on TeX knows it's
installed, because Ubuntu itself doesn't know. There was a shim package
somewhere which fixed this, but I can't remember where it was.

Peter