Empty bibliography on input line etc. -> biber and biblatex out of sync?
Add Reply
M. Pouliquen
2018-12-02 03:45:48 UTC
I use TeXlive and I reinstalled it yesterday. For two weeks now I have been unable to compile my document, which is too long and too complex to post here. I have had the warning quoted in the title, and the page https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140701/empty-bibliography says that biber and biblatex could be out of sync. I checked the versions and indeed, biber's version number is 49068 (either local or remote), and biblatex's version number is 49069. This is not a problem on my part, because I try to compile an older version of my file (a few weeks old) which used to work just fire and it doesn't anymore. Thanks for your help.
Moewe
2018-12-02 08:13:02 UTC
Post by M. Pouliquen
I use TeXlive and I reinstalled it yesterday. For two weeks now I have been unable to compile my document, which is too long and too complex to post here. I have had the warning quoted in the title, and the page https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140701/empty-bibliography says that biber and biblatex could be out of sync. I checked the versions and indeed, biber's version number is 49068 (either local or remote), and biblatex's version number is 49069. This is not a problem on my part, because I try to compile an older version of my file (a few weeks old) which used to work just fire and it doesn't anymore. Thanks for your help.
The version numbers you report (49068 and 49069) are internal TeX live
'version'/commit identifiers. These numbers need not (and in general do
not) coincide with the version of the packages as reported by the
package itself and on CTAN.

49068
(https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live-commits/2018-November/007792.html)
and 49069
(https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live-commits/2018-November/007793.html)
refer to Biber 2.12 and biblatex 3.12, respectively. These versions are
compatible and the newest release versions (as you would expect on a
recently updated TeX live system).

If the .log file does not contain any more useful warnings or errors,
you may want to have a look at Biber's log file, the .blg. If something
went wrong, it should be logged there.

Note that it may be useful to delete all temporary files after an update
to avoid version conflicts between leftover auxiliary files and your new
package versions.

I suggest you delete all temporary files (.aux, .bbl, .bcf, ...) and
then recompile with a full LaTeX, Biber, LaTeX, LaTeX cycle (replace
LaTeX with your favourite flavour of LaTeX, i.e. pdfLaTeX, XeLaTeX,
LuaLaTeX, ...). Fix any errors and all warnings that do not refer to
undefined citations in the first run that you come across.

It may well be that some things that used to work don't work any more
with newer versions of biblatex and Biber. Aside from real breaking
changes like the 3.3 name format change
(https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/299036/35864), there could be temporary
regressions such as the parsing of braces in name lists
(https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/425947/35864) or a change in behaviour
towards throwing warnings or errors more aggressively where things were
silently accepted, but possibly messed up earlier (e.g.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/402714/35864).

Since LaTeX 2018-04-01 switched to UTF-8 as standard encoding biblatex
and Biber also assume that unless there is indication to the contrary.
For some people with ill-encoded files this could lead to problems (e.g.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/459821/35864).