Line numbering using IEEEtran.cls?
Add Reply
r***@gmx.de
2008-08-05 22:23:07 UTC
Hi --

Is there a way to get line numbering using the IEEEtran.cls class
file? It seems that \usepackage{lineno} silently fails (no errors, but
no line numbers either), and the IEEE class itself has no option for
line numbers either. Still, I vaguely remember seeing papers that
appeared to have been typeset using the IEEE class file and which had
line numbers.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Torsten
Michael Shell
2008-08-06 03:49:12 UTC
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:23:07 -0700 (PDT)
Post by r***@gmx.de
Is there a way to get line numbering using the IEEEtran.cls class
file? It seems that \usepackage{lineno} silently fails (no errors, but
no line numbers either), and the IEEE class itself has no option for
line numbers either. Still, I vaguely remember seeing papers that
appeared to have been typeset using the IEEE class file and which had
line numbers.
Torsten,

It seems to work for my example, even in twocolumn mode. I'm
using IEEEtran v1.7a and lineno v4.41 (2005).

I loaded lineno last:

\usepackage{lineno}

and enabled line numbering just after \begin{document}:

\linenumbers
\linenumbersep 3pt\relax

The right column line numbers are a bit too close to the other text,
it would be nice if the line numbers for the second column could
be set to be in the right margin.

Be aware that any other package that fiddles with the output
routines could break lineno (this is true even under article.cls).

Also, there may be some skipping of areas with displayed
math. See the lineno docs, section 6.2., I didn't try the
ednmath0 stuff.

Cheers,

Mike
r***@gmx.de
2008-08-06 16:18:59 UTC
Mike:

Oh my, I didn't put \linenumbers... guess I should've read the
documentation instead of digging through the style files.

Thanks for the hint, and while I am at it: thanks for a great job on
the IEEE class in general!

Best,
Torsten
s***@gmail.com