citing web-sites in natbib
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
2017-03-09 13:57:00 UTC
Hi,

for an English-language book project I need to cite, amongst others,
web-sites.

When I use plainnat as bib-style, the access date does not get used. I
tried natdin instead, but this bib-style is not language-aware (ignores
the "\documentclass[british,..." in the limbo), so I get "Abruf: 2017-
03-02" instead of "Accessed: 2017-03-02" -- which really looks funny.

Btw: While in the bibliography DOIs get beautifully typeset as web-
links, URLs (like that of the Topper-paper) still appear plain, although
they are clickable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Engelbert

Minimal example:
\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
\documentclass[british,pdftex]{scrartcl}

\usepackage{babel,%foreign language support
url,%typeset internet links (preloaded in beamer)
doi,%DOIs in references as links
xcolor}%handle colours
\usepackage[square,comma,numbers,sort&compress]{natbib}%handling of
bibliographic references
\usepackage[iso]{isodate}%standard international format for dates
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{hyperref}%hyper-refs in PDF, must be last package called

\begin{document}

In diagrams sugars names are often abbreviated, or the sugars are
represented by graphical symbols. For those, hexoses are represented by
circles, acetylhexosamines by squares, hexosamines by divided squares,
uronic acids by divided diamonds. Sugars derived from glucose are drawn
in blue, galactose yellow, mannose green. There may be additional
substituents like (\textit{P})osphate, (\textit{S})ulphate, (\textit{O
Me})thyl or (\textit{O Ac})etyl. For details see \citep{Per-14}

The PAS-reaction is used to detect vicinal diols, as they occur in
sugars. The sugar is first oxidised to a dialdehyde with periodic acid.
Reaction of aldehydes with Schiff's reagent leads to a coloured product
\citep{Rob-80}.

Spontaneous conversion of the ketose fructose into the aldoses glucose
and mannose. Further tautomerisation leads to aldoses \citep{Top-51}.

\bibliographystyle{natdin}
\bibliography{references}

\end{document}

-------------------------------------

@MISC{Per-14,
author = {S. Perez},
title = {The Symbolic Representation of Monosaccharides in the
Age of Glycobiology},
year = {2014},
howpublished = {Web-site},
url =
{http://www.glycopedia.eu/IMG/pdf/the_symbolic_representation_of_monosac
charides_2014.pdf},
lastchecked = {2017-03-02},
}

@ARTICLE{Rob-80,
title = {The structure of Schiff reagent aldehyde adducts and
the mechanism of the Schiff reaction as determined by nuclear magnetic
resonance spectroscopy},
author = {Robins, J.H. and Abrams, G.D. and Pincock, J.A.},
journal = {Can. J. Chem.},
volume = {58},
number = {4},
pages = {339-347},
year = {1980},
doi = {10.1139/v80-055},
}

@ARTICLE{Top-51,
AUTHOR = {Y.J. Topper and D. Stetten, Jr.},
TITLE = {The alkali-catalyzed conversion of glucose into
fructose},
YEAR = {1951},
JOURNAL = {J. Biol. Chem.},
volume = {189},
number = {1},
pages = {191-202},
month = {http://www.jbc.org/content/189/1/191.full.pdf},
}
--
DIN EN ISO 9241-13: 9.5.3 Error messages should convey what is wrong,
what corrective actions can be taken, and the cause of the error.
Ulrike Fischer
2017-03-09 18:54:10 UTC
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Hi,
for an English-language book project I need to cite, amongst others,
web-sites.
When I use plainnat as bib-style, the access date does not get used. I
tried natdin instead, but this bib-style is not language-aware (ignores
the "\documentclass[british,..." in the limbo), so I get "Abruf: 2017-
03-02" instead of "Accessed: 2017-03-02" -- which really looks funny.
Btw: While in the bibliography DOIs get beautifully typeset as web-
links, URLs (like that of the Topper-paper) still appear plain, although
they are clickable.
Any suggestions?
Well you could create your own version english version of natdin:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/141510/2388

But I would use biblatex + biber instead of natbib and bibtex. Then
you get good url's (with links) and good language support directly.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Peter Flynn
2017-03-09 20:40:45 UTC
[...]
Post by Ulrike Fischer
But I would use biblatex + biber instead of natbib and bibtex. Then
you get good url's (with links) and good language support directly.
Ulrike is exactly right: biblatex and biber are the way to go.