Herbert Schulz's candidate statement for TUG Board
j***@gmail.com
2017-02-09 17:39:58 UTC
Copied from http://tug.org/election/2017/candidates.html#schulz
Herbert is one of 14 candidates for 10 TUG Board vacancies.

I've been using TeX since the mid-1980s; well, except for several years in the mid- to late-1990s. During that time period I received a great deal of help from others as I tried to better understand the subtleties of using TeX, and later LaTeX. After retiring in 2001 I decided to give back to the community and have helped put together MacTeX as well as MacTeXtras as well as help others on multiple (both Mac and non-Mac centric) on-line forums and email lists.

I would like to become a member of the TUG Board to further help develop on-line help through the TUG Web Pages by gathering links to as many on-line and up-to-date TeX, LaTeX and Distribution help locations along with descriptions of what they provide. I believe this would be one way to help increase TUG membership and speed up the learning curve for new users of TeX.
j***@gmail.com
2017-02-12 14:58:39 UTC
Hi Herb

I'm with you for improving the help pages on tug.org. Please do say more about what you have in mind.
Jonathan
j***@gmail.com
2017-02-12 19:14:02 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I'm with you for improving the help pages on tug.org. Please do say more about what you have in mind.
I also forward my post to Herb, who's given me permission to post here his response:

===
Over the years LaTeX has been fairly stable but the TeX Live distribution and it's maintenance has changed (for the better, in my opinion) quite a bit; e.g., there are better ways to update packages and installing fonts. Unfortunately there is lots of very outdated information on the net about how to do that sort of thing. I hope to be able to check the linked information about the TeX Live distribution maintenance and either create updated information or point to recent information.

Once that is done would be wise to also recheck the information pointed to about LaTeX and make sure we are linking the most recent and most complete help URLs.
===

Thank you for this, Herb.
--
Jonathan