add exisint tags inside the Index entries
MadYuv
2017-07-17 07:01:48 UTC
Dear All,

How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?

Im using MikTeX V2.9 and makeidx.sty and makeindex.exe for generating the index entries...

Thanks in advance...
MadYuv...
Peter Flynn
2017-07-17 19:18:24 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Dear All,
How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?
Here's an example that indexes commands with their backslash but puts
the backslash into the margin so that the word lines up with normal
index entries (looks nicer). I use this in the typeset version of
_Formatting Information_.¹

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex
\begin{document}
This is a sentence indexing the command
\verb+\chapter+\index{hyphenation@\texttt{\llap{\char'134}hyphenation}}
with the environment \verb+abstract+\index{abstract@\texttt{abstract}}
and the ordinary word `document'\index{document}.

\printindex

¹ http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/
MadYuv
Thanks, your suggestion is working, but my requirement is I need to add the tag \break between two words of an index entry, i.e., \item entry\break continued text, please suggest...
Peter Flynn
2017-07-18 18:59:30 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Post by MadYuv
Dear All,
How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?
Im using MikTeX V2.9 and makeidx.sty and makeindex.exe for generating the index entries...
Thanks in advance...
MadYuv...
Thanks, your suggestion is working, but my requirement is I need to
add the tag \break between two words of an index entry, i.e., \item
entry\break continued text, please suggest...
I'm afraid I don't understand what you want to do.

2017-07-18 19:47:31 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Dear All,
How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?
Do you mean you actually want to break the page in the middle of an
index entry?

///Peter
s***@gmail.com
2017-07-19 08:40:17 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Dear All,
How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?
Do you mean you actually want to break the page in the middle of an
index entry?
///Peter
I have given some example tags below:

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage[makeindex]{imakeidx}

\makeindex

\begin{document}

This is a sentence indexing the command
\index{Breaking word}
with the environment\index{abstract}
and the ordinary word `document'\index{Test document}.

\printindex

\end{document}

Here, I need to break the two words "Breaking word", i.e., output should generate as \item Breaking\break word

Please suggest...
Peter Flynn
2017-07-19 20:16:24 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Dear All,
How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?
Do you mean you actually want to break the page in the middle of an
index entry?
///Peter
\documentclass{book}
\usepackage[makeindex]{imakeidx}
\makeindex
\begin{document}
This is a sentence indexing the command
\index{Breaking word}
with the environment\index{abstract}
and the ordinary word `document'\index{Test document}.
\printindex
\end{document}
Here, I need to break the two words "Breaking word", i.e., output should generate as \item Breaking\break word
Do you mean "break across two lines like this:

Breaking
word.............................36

I don't know if that is possible. Is the column too narrow?

///Peter
Dan Luecking
2017-08-11 18:44:32 UTC
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 01:40:17 -0700 (PDT),
Post by MadYuv
Dear All,
How can I add the tags \break, \pagebreak, etc. to the particular index entry?
Do you mean you actually want to break the page in the middle of an
index entry?
///Peter
\documentclass{book}
\usepackage[makeindex]{imakeidx}
\makeindex
\begin{document}
This is a sentence indexing the command
\index{Breaking word}
The standard way to insert something in the index different from the
literal indexed term is the @ tag:

\index{Breaking ***@Breaking\break word}

Unfortunately, for your example file at least, there is a column
break between "Breaking" and "word". To keep the two lines together,
one could use the following hack:

\index{Breaking word@\clubpenalty10000 Breaking\break word}

Making that automatic seems to require diving into book.cls's.
definition of theindex environment.
Post by Peter Flynn
with the environment\index{abstract}
and the ordinary word `document'\index{Test document}.
\printindex
\end{document}
Cheers, Dan

To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking