texlive 2017 broke powerdot
Mauro Orlandini
2017-06-29 10:00:10 UTC
I upgraded my 2016 texlive to the recent 2017 and found out that the
presentations I prepared with the powerdot package come out messed up.
They latex fine, but the layout is like the slide was produced in
landscape mode while the text is in portrait: give a look at this image
(a snapshot of the dvi output, via xdvi)

This is the minimal working example that produced the image. Could you
please check on your 2017 texlive if this is a general behaviour or there
is something wrong in my 2017 installation? (that I did in the same exact
way as I did for the last four years).

To be tested in a 2017 texlive
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass[
size=12pt,
paper=screen,
mode=present,
style=horatio,
]{powerdot}

\begin{document}

\begin{slide}{This is a slide}
Contents of the slide
\end{slide}

\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Thank you very much.
Mauro
Joseph Wright
2017-06-29 10:12:12 UTC
http://i63.tinypic.com/53s2mu.jpg
This is the minimal working example that produced the image. Could you
please check on your 2017 texlive if this is a general behaviour or there
is something wrong in my 2017 installation? (that I did in the same exact
way as I did for the last four years).
To be tested in a 2017 texlive
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass[
size=12pt,
paper=screen,
mode=present,
style=horatio,
]{powerdot}
\begin{document}
\begin{slide}{This is a slide}
Contents of the slide
\end{slide}
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Thank you very much.
Mauro
Can you add \listfiles to your input and post the file list you get in
your log? There was an issue at one point with the updated graphics
drivers and setting page size, but that should now be corrected.

Joseph
Mauro Orlandini
2017-06-29 10:51:08 UTC
Post by Joseph Wright
Can you add \listfiles to your input and post the file list you get in
your log? There was an issue at one point with the updated graphics
drivers and setting page size, but that should now be corrected.
Ulrike Fisher pointed me to the core of the problem (and to the solution,
too!). It is a powerdot bug, easily solved by calling dvips with the -L0
switch

https://sourceforge.net/p/miktex/bugs/2577/

Thank you very much for your interest in my problem, that I can mark as
SOLVED.

Ciao, Mauro

Ulrike Fischer
2017-06-29 10:35:30 UTC
Post by Mauro Orlandini
I upgraded my 2016 texlive to the recent 2017 and found out that the
presentations I prepared with the powerdot package come out messed up.
They latex fine, but the layout is like the slide was produced in
landscape mode while the text is in portrait: give a look at this image
(a snapshot of the dvi output, via xdvi)
You need to call dvips with the -L0 switch.

See also this miktex report where the problem popped up a bit
earlier than with texlive:

https://sourceforge.net/p/miktex/bugs/2577/
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Mauro Orlandini
2017-06-29 10:46:49 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
You need to call dvips with the -L0 switch.
See also this miktex report where the problem popped up a bit earlier
https://sourceforge.net/p/miktex/bugs/2577/
Thank you Ulrike!!! This solved the problem... I owe you ;-)

Ciao, Mauro