Typesetting occasional words in Hebrew
2017-11-26 19:13:28 UTC
I have been asked by a colleague about how to set occasional words in
Hebrew, in a document in English which also needs to use the long-s (ſ).

As a matter of principle, I now avoid pdflatex where possible and use
XeLaTeX in order to support UTF-8 documents.

But I am very sorry to say that AFAICS most Hebrew packages don't yet
support XeLaTeX, only pdflatex. And there are so many of them, of
mind-bending complexity, all mutually incompatible and referencing
obsolete packages, outdated documentation pages, and even font packages
that don't exist any more, that I have, in effect, given up entirely on
even attempting Hebrew.

The position is compounded by a serious misapprehension that everyone
wants to typeset entire documents in Hebrew, when I suspect the majority
use outside Israel and other Hebrew-language environments is for the use
of occasional Hebrew words or phrases in a document whose base language
is not Hebrew.

If you have a solution to Hebrew, I would be very interested to hear
about it, as I would love to be able to reply in the affirmative.

///Peter
Axel Berger
2017-11-27 08:15:08 UTC
most Hebrew packages don't yet support XeLaTeX, only pdflatex.
The rest of your post sounds as if you might not yet have looked at
cjhebrew, designed not for complete hebrew documents but for just your
purpose. I am a pdlatex user though, but see no reason why the package
might be thus limited.
--
/¯\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Straße 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Javier Bezos
2017-11-27 14:20:07 UTC
I have been asked by a colleague about how to set occasional words in
Hebrew, in a document in English which also needs to use the long-s (ſ).
But I am very sorry to say that AFAICS most Hebrew packages don't yet
support XeLaTeX, only pdflatex.
For occasional words both babel (3.15) and polyglossia should work.
The babel doc even provides an example of a Hebrew word in a Swedish
text, although there is a little mistake. Here is the complete
corrected example:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[swedish]{babel}

\babelprovide[import=he, bidi=default]{hebrew}

\babelfont{rm}{FreeSerif}

\begin{document}

Svenska \foreignlanguage{hebrew}{עִבְרִית} svenska.

\end{document}

Javier
Javier Bezos
2017-11-27 16:58:39 UTC
Post by Javier Bezos
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[swedish]{babel}
\babelprovide[import=he, bidi=default]{hebrew}
Oops. I meant:

\usepackage[swedish, bidi=default]{babel}

\babelprovide[import=he]{hebrew}

Javier
Peter Flynn
2017-11-27 23:00:32 UTC
On 11/27/2017 08:15 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
[...]
On 11/27/2017 04:58 PM, Javier Bezos wrote:
[...]

Thank you both very much.