My latex file crashes to be a blank file after a computer blue-screen crash.
Tao Wu
2016-01-28 00:58:58 UTC
My latex file crashes to be a blank file after a computer blue-screen crash. The file size is still the same as original. However, there is no any text after I open it, like the text is hidden somewhere or compiled somewhere. Is there any way to fix the issue? Greatly appreciate your help.
Leon van Dommelen
2016-01-30 16:07:00 UTC
Post by Tao Wu
My latex file crashes to be a blank file after a computer blue-screen
crash. The file size is still the same as original. However, there is no
any text after I open it, like the text is hidden somewhere or compiled
somewhere. Is there any way to fix the issue? Greatly appreciate your
help.
Try another editor, like emacs (try opening with find-file-literally), or
a byte editor? Latex is plain text. If the bytes are there, you should
be able to see them. If not, I would assume your file is lost if your
editor does not keep a backup somewhere else.

Leon
Peter Flynn
2016-01-30 19:52:10 UTC
Post by Tao Wu
My latex file crashes to be a blank file after a computer blue-screen
crash. The file size is still the same as original. However, there is
no any text after I open it, like the text is hidden somewhere or
compiled somewhere.
This sounds horribly like the old cross-linked cluster disk error you
used to see in the days of MS-DOS. The directory was reporting a
non-zero file size, but the file appeared to be empty when you opened it.

Either that, or something has written a DOS EOF mark (Ctrl-Z character)
into the file which is fooling the editor. Leon's suggestion to use
Emacs is a good one: it should show you *all* the bytes in the file.

///Peter
a***@gmail.com
2016-05-15 18:09:32 UTC
If you are using cloud services like google drive or dropbox, they let you restore your files to an older version. Go to whatever service you are using, right click on the file name, then click manage versions.
2***@gmail.com
2017-12-30 14:57:59 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
If you are using cloud services like google drive or dropbox, they let you restore your files to an older version. Go to whatever service you are using, right click on the file name, then click manage versions.
You saved my 10 days of work! Thank you and Google Drive very much!