Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic
Jeremy Jacob
2017-05-02 11:16:48 UTC
My employer has decided to switch from a brand image that used palatino to one which uses Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic. I would like to track this, if I can.

Does anyone know if there there fonts and LaTeX packages available for Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic?

Or a close match? (We are supposed to use Cambria and Calibri "on our own computers" --- which I assume are easily available in M$ word.)
Herb Schulz
2017-05-02 15:43:13 UTC
Post by Jeremy Jacob
My employer has decided to switch from a brand image that used palatino to
one which uses Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic. I would like to track this, if
I can.
Does anyone know if there there fonts and LaTeX packages available for Inka
Text A and Monsal Gothic?
Or a close match? (We are supposed to use Cambria and Calibri "on our own
computers" --- which I assume are easily available in M$ word.)
Howdy,

It seems that those fonts are not free and therefore will never become part
of TeX Live. On the other hand, assuming the fonts are available in OTF
format you could use (Xe/Lua)(La)TeX.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Peter Flynn
2017-05-02 20:24:48 UTC
Post by Jeremy Jacob
My employer has decided to switch from a brand image that used
palatino to one which uses Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic. I would
like to track this, if I can.
My employer did the same, going for Gotham and Bauer Bodoni. Both are
commercial fonts (the GSF Bodoni that comes with LaTeX is not close, and
the Libre Bodoni is much heavier). We bought half a dozen licenses for
those users in publishing and publicity who really need them, and we'll
use licensed webfonts online.
Post by Jeremy Jacob
Does anyone know if there there fonts and LaTeX packages available
for Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic?
As Herb said, both are commercial fonts and you have to buy them (eg
myfonts.com and similar):

• Inka Text A is $45 per font
(complete Inka A and B faces [64 fonts] are $630)

• Monsal Gothic is $27.99 per font
(complete set of 14 fonts is $201.99)
Post by Jeremy Jacob
Or a close match?
Scroll through the LaTeX Font Catalogue http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/
or use something like identifont.com to find by similarity.
Post by Jeremy Jacob
(We are supposed to use Cambria and Calibri "on our
own computers" --- which I assume are easily available in M$ word.)
Our employees were told to use Verdana instead of Gotham! (Microsoft did
at least provide a usable Bodoni). Fortunately, since then, Montserrat
has become freely available, which is much closer to Gotham than Verdana is.

///Peter
Jeremy Jacob
///Peter
Donald Arseneau
2017-05-02 23:30:34 UTC
Post by Jeremy Jacob
My employer has decided to switch from a brand image that used
palatino to one which uses Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic. I would
like to track this, if I can.
Does anyone know if there there fonts and LaTeX packages available for
Inka Text A and Monsal Gothic?
Do you have access to the licenses bought by your employer, to use the
actual fonts? There's no reason that commercial fonts won't have
LaTeX support files, but I don't think this is the case for these
fonts. Are there any metric-compatible free fonts around, so you
can use the LaTeX suppport for the free font on the commercial ones?
Post by Jeremy Jacob
Or a close match? (We are supposed to use Cambria and Calibri "on our
own computers" --- which I assume are easily available in M$ word.)
Look for microsoft webcore fonts volume 2, or webcore vista, in your
"community" package repository for linux. (I think MS changed the
distribution regulations after release, but they are out there.)
--
Donald Arseneau ***@triumf.ca