display equations in list (acmart/amsart)
Alain Ketterlin
2017-11-01 11:43:28 UTC
I've just noticed that acmart (actually amsart) forces full page width
displays everywhere. This gives (imho) terrible results when you have a
longish display equation inside itemize or enumerate (example below),
even worse with equation numbers on the left (BTW: I can't find a way to
pass leqno to amsart).

I've hunted it down to the following lines in amsart (version
[2009/07/02 v2.20.1]):

| \def\fullwidthdisplay{\displayindent\z@ \displaywidth\columnwidth}
| \edef\@tempa{\noexpand\fullwidthdisplay\the\everydisplay}
| \everydisplay\expandafter{\@tempa}

I've found no mention of \fullwidthdisplay in any documentation (amsart,
amsmath, acmart). A simple \let\fullwidthdisplay\relax centers equations
on line width (instead of column width), which is much better I think.

I wonder if there is a better way to change this? It should probably be
documented somewhere, and maybe changeable with a class option. (I'm
using an old texlive on an old ubuntu, so sorry if this has been changed
already.)

Here is the example:

\documentclass[sigplan,10pt]{acmart}
\begin{document}
\title{Nothing}\maketitle
\begin{itemize}
\item Long text that takes more that one line to highlight the
centering of equations
\begin{equation*}
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
\end{equation*}

[...]