Post by Elof Huang
As Plain Tex is created by Donald Knuth, English Speaker, but how do we
using different language on Tex?
Concerning the 8-bit engines (TeX, pdfTeX), you can have a look at some
works of Petr Olšák,a czech plainTeX enthusiast:
1) encTeX – a clever TeX engine modification allowing practically
unlimited remapping of input characters (and character sequences
including multibyte unicode characters!) to different characters or to
macros in 8-bit TeX engines. No active characters needed. Very useful in
2) OFS – a system for easy font (and font encoding!) switching closely
3) “lang” module – a system to easily switch languages.
(1) is a stable part of TeXLive.
(2) and (3) are parts of Olšák’s project OKTeX which he unfortunately
abbandoned unfinished. Nevertheless, these two modules are fully
functional and usable. (2) is contained in TeXLive, (3) is available at