TeXShop Can't Open Files
Emil Salim
2017-03-31 20:22:47 UTC
Hi Everyone,

My TeXShop has been acting out: I haven't been able to open files with it. I can open and compile the files using TeXMaker. I've tried reinstalling the entire MacTeX package twice but the problem persists (I'm using the latest TeXShop and the latest Sierra on Mac). Any help would be appreciated.

Emil
Peter Flynn
2017-04-02 16:09:44 UTC
Post by Emil Salim
Hi Everyone,
My TeXShop has been acting out: I haven't been able to open files
with it. I can open and compile the files using TeXMaker. I've tried
reinstalling the entire MacTeX package twice but the problem persists
(I'm using the latest TeXShop and the latest Sierra on Mac). Any help
would be appreciated.
I vaguely recall seeing something about this a while back, and the
solution involved finding and removing TeXShop's configuration file,
which had become corrupted and easn't being removed or overwritten by a
reinstallation. But I can't find the thread.

It's probably best asked in the MacTeX forums if there are any, or on
tex.stackexchange.com

///Peter
Michael Shell
2017-04-04 01:05:16 UTC
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:09:44 +0100
Post by Peter Flynn
I vaguely recall seeing something about this a while back, and the
solution involved finding and removing TeXShop's configuration file,
which had become corrupted and easn't being removed or overwritten by a
reinstallation. But I can't find the thread.
FWIW, some entries in the MacTeX FAQ might help here:

https://tug.org/mactex/faq/

"QT.02: TeXShop refuses to start, or behaves strangely. Or, for example, you
get the message:

"/usr/texbin/altpdflatex does not exist.
Perhaps TeX Live was not installed or was removed during a
system upgrade."

AT.02: There may be a damaged TeXShop preferences file. Quit TeXShop,
and reboot your machine. Then before starting TeXShop again,
move the file
~/Library/Preferences/TeXShop.plist
to your desktop. Then start TeXShop. If this fixes the problem,
reset your preferences as desired. If not, put the old plist file
back to restore your old preferences.

Make sure you are using the latest version of TeXShop

QT.03: TeXShop complains of a damaged Macros file when it starts.

AT.03: There may be a damaged Macros folder in TeXShop's configuration
files. Quit TeXShop, move the Macros folder
~/Library/TeXShop/Macros
to the desktop, and restart TeXShop. It will create a new
Macros folder with a working Macros file.
"

Also, according to:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/290842/texshop-compilation-issue-on-mac-os-el-capitan-complete-uninstallation-and-re-i

if you get error messages like "Library/TeX/... does not exist", you may
have a path problem in your preferences: "The correct path is
/Library/TeX/texbin not Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex"

Emil, if you fix the problem, do post the answer to us so that it
can help others in the same boat in the future.

Cheers,

Mike Shell
Herb Schulz
2017-04-04 13:51:59 UTC
Post by Emil Salim
Hi Everyone,
My TeXShop has been acting out: I haven't been able to open files with it. I
can open and compile the files using TeXMaker. I've tried reinstalling the
entire MacTeX package twice but the problem persists (I'm using the latest
TeXShop and the latest Sierra on Mac). Any help would be appreciated.
Emil
Howdy,

There seems to be a problem with PDFKit in macOS 10.12.4 that causes the
preview display to crash for certain files. Try to remove the pdf file if it
is present and then the source file should open.

Assuming the source file does open please check to see if you are using the
pstricks package but compiling with pdflatex; that seems to trigger the
problem.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Emil Salim
2017-04-04 14:50:19 UTC
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for all the responses. Per Peter's suggestion, I also posted my question on another on stackexchange:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/361885/texshop-cant-open-files

When I first posted here, I thought I wasn't able to open any file with TeXShop. It turned out the problems were primarily with beamer files. document and scrartcl files are fine so far.

The solution to the problem is to remove \usepackage{pstricks} from beamer files for now. I will do some more testings, but I've had several successes opening and compiling beamer files with TeXShop after the removal of \usepackage{pstricks}.

The problem is only with TeXShop, though. With TeXMaker, I can still open and compile beamer files with the presence of \usepackage{pstricks}.

Many thanks!

Emil
Herb Schulz
2017-04-04 15:33:54 UTC
Post by Emil Salim
[...]

Files using the pstricks package need to be typeset using TEX->DVI mode. If
typeset with pdflatex the pdf isn't quite correct. The crashing problem is in
some changes to PDFKit in macOS 10.12.4. Apple knows about it and is working
on the problem. Any pdf viewer that uses PDFKit (e.g., TeXShop, Skim,
Preview) will crash when attempting to display those pdf files.

While it is incorrect to use the pstricks package when typesetting with
pdflatex and the best thing you can do to correct a malformed pdf file is to
tyoeset correctly of course the pdf viewer shouldn't crash when presented
with one of those files.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz