is it possible to have table of contents be in 2 columns ?
Nasser M. Abbasi
2009-11-04 17:11:11 UTC
Lets say we have a long table of contents that spans 4 pages.

I was wondering if it is possible to have it span only 2 pages by having it
formatted in 2 columns instead of the default one column?

(I'll make sure my section heading are short to allow this all to fit).

thanks
--Nasser
Peter Flynn
2009-11-04 23:06:42 UTC
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
Lets say we have a long table of contents that spans 4 pages.
I was wondering if it is possible to have it span only 2 pages by having it
formatted in 2 columns instead of the default one column?
(I'll make sure my section heading are short to allow this all to fit).
Have you tried

\usepackage{multicol}
\begin{multicols}{2}
\tableofcontents
\end{multicols}

[I haven't tried it].

///Peter
Nasser M. Abbasi
2009-11-05 01:23:40 UTC
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
Lets say we have a long table of contents that spans 4 pages.
I was wondering if it is possible to have it span only 2 pages by having
it formatted in 2 columns instead of the default one column?
(I'll make sure my section heading are short to allow this all to fit).
Have you tried
\usepackage{multicol}
\begin{multicols}{2}
\tableofcontents
\end{multicols}
[I haven't tried it].
///Peter
Thanks Peter, that worked very well.

But htlatex is unable to make the table of content in the HTML output.

I guess multicol is hard to do in html for table of content. I was hoping
the HTML table of content will also split as it did in the pdf output.

Best
--Nasser
Peter Flynn
2009-11-05 20:41:17 UTC
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
Lets say we have a long table of contents that spans 4 pages.
I was wondering if it is possible to have it span only 2 pages by having
it formatted in 2 columns instead of the default one column?
(I'll make sure my section heading are short to allow this all to fit).
Have you tried
\usepackage{multicol}
\begin{multicols}{2}
\tableofcontents
\end{multicols}
[I haven't tried it].
///Peter
Thanks Peter, that worked very well.
But htlatex is unable to make the table of content in the HTML output.
I guess multicol is hard to do in html for table of content. I was hoping
the HTML table of content will also split as it did in the pdf output.
Web browsers don't have an agreed way of handling flowable
multi-columns. There have been several attempts, but right now it
requires an addtional layer of software to create a table, or a pair of
DIVs, or some other construct, and then judge how much text to put in
each. And it depends on what technology you're using for the back-end
and front-end: htlatex, latex2html, tex4ht, Java, XSLT, Javascript, ASP,
JSP, PHP,...

///Peter
Philipp Stephani
2009-11-05 22:13:38 UTC
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
[...]
For the record: CSS3 will include column support, and modern browsers
already include this feature:

http://www.css3.info/preview/multi-column-layout/
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.
Peter Flynn
2009-11-06 20:37:19 UTC
Post by Philipp Stephani
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
Post by Peter Flynn
Post by Nasser M. Abbasi
[...]
Quite right, I'd missed that. Thanks for the correction.

///Peter