why does $s^2_\bar{y}$ give a hail of error messages?
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
2017-10-04 14:02:49 UTC
Hi,

$s^2_\bar{y}$ (variance of a group of averages, required for
significance testing of $\eta^2$, a correlation coefficient between
nominal and cardinal data) gives several error messages about missing
brackets. Why? Btw, $s^2_{\bar{y}}$ is, if anything, worse.

LaTeX2e, scrartcl.
--
DIN EN ISO 9241-13: 9.5.3 Error messages should convey what is wrong,
what corrective actions can be taken, and the cause of the error.
Jean-Côme Charpentier
2017-10-04 14:26:48 UTC
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Hi,
Hello
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
$s^2_\bar{y}$ (variance of a group of averages, required for
significance testing of $\eta^2$, a correlation coefficient between
nominal and cardinal data) gives several error messages about missing
brackets. Why? Btw, $s^2_{\bar{y}}$ is, if anything, worse.
* "\bar" is a mathaccent. You can't put an accent on a group. "\bar y"
is right.
* "_" take the next token to build a subscript. In your code the token
would be \bar and LaTeX doesn't like to have an isolated "\bar".

Then $s^2_{\bar y}$ is what you want I suppose.

Jean-Côme Charpentier
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
2017-10-05 17:11:01 UTC
Post by Jean-Côme Charpentier
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Hi,
Hello
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
$s^2_\bar{y}$ (variance of a group of averages, required for
significance testing of $\eta^2$, a correlation coefficient between
nominal and cardinal data) gives several error messages about missing
brackets. Why? Btw, $s^2_{\bar{y}}$ is, if anything, worse.
* "\bar" is a mathaccent. You can't put an accent on a group. "\bar y"
is right.
* "_" take the next token to build a subscript. In your code the token
would be \bar and LaTeX doesn't like to have an isolated "\bar".
Then $s^2_{\bar y}$ is what you want I suppose.
Jean-Côme Charpentier
yes, that works -- thanks
cause of the error.
Ulrike Fischer
2017-10-04 14:31:12 UTC
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
$s^2_\bar{y}$ (variance of a group of averages, required for
significance testing of $\eta^2$, a correlation coefficient between
nominal and cardinal data) gives several error messages about missing
brackets. Why?
Why do you still don't add complete examples?
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Btw, $s^2_{\bar{y}}$ is, if anything, worse.
That's what I would do and it works fine for me.
--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
Holger Schieferdecker
2017-10-04 14:27:32 UTC
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Hi,
$s^2_\bar{y}$ (variance of a group of averages, required for
significance testing of $\eta^2$, a correlation coefficient between
nominal and cardinal data) gives several error messages about missing
brackets. Why? Btw, $s^2_{\bar{y}}$ is, if anything, worse.
$s^2_{\bar{y}}$ works here (LaTeX2e with pdfTeX, scrartcl) without error
messages.

Holger
Vincent Belaïche
2017-10-04 17:12:01 UTC
Post by Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Hi,
$s^2_\bar{y}$ (variance of a group of averages, required for
significance testing of $\eta^2$, a correlation coefficient between
nominal and cardinal data) gives several error messages about missing
brackets. Why? Btw, $s^2_{\bar{y}}$ is, if anything, worse.
LaTeX2e, scrartcl.
Could you please provide the log file and a complete example. The
following works for me with pdflatex:

\documentclass{minimal}
\begin{document}
$s^2_{\bar{y}}$