Arabic(?) junk
Peter Wilson
2017-04-09 17:40:56 UTC
I keep getting messages in, I think, Arabic. I'm pretty sure that they
have nothing to do with the interests of comp.text.tex subscribers. They
come from various email addresses. Is there any way I can stop them
getting to me? (I'm on Ubuntu with newsgroup feed from
news.eternal-september.org).

Thanks for any ideas --- Peter W.
Peter Flynn
2017-04-09 20:37:58 UTC
Post by Peter Wilson
I keep getting messages in, I think, Arabic. I'm pretty sure that they
have nothing to do with the interests of comp.text.tex subscribers. They
come from various email addresses. Is there any way I can stop them
getting to me? (I'm on Ubuntu with newsgroup feed from
news.eternal-september.org).
Politico-religious spam.

If you're using Thunderbird as your client, it honours the k key
(killfile the thread). Others should do the same, I think.

It won't block a new post from a different address, though. And modern
clients don't play the sound of a spammer being dropped into a deep well...

///Peter
Josef Kleber
2017-04-10 07:58:57 UTC
Hi,
Post by Peter Wilson
I keep getting messages in, I think, Arabic. I'm pretty sure that they
have nothing to do with the interests of comp.text.tex subscribers. They
come from various email addresses. Is there any way I can stop them
getting to me? (I'm on Ubuntu with newsgroup feed from
news.eternal-september.org).
as you are using Thunderbird, simply use filters! Unfortunately, this
guy is using Google Groups, so there's no way to filter for a certain
combination of news software and news provider. But you can filter the
email address by right-clicking on the email address -> Create filter
[1]. Add new email address if necessary.

Josef

[1] http://imgur.com/m8TOiZh (german ;-) )
--
PGP Public Key:
http://kirza.kleberj.de/pgp
DAA2 4AA6 5157 AD05 F6B8 043A D1BE 1EEA 86C6 4C5F
Charles P. Schaum
2017-04-10 18:45:53 UTC
Post by Peter Wilson
I keep getting messages in, I think, Arabic. I'm pretty sure that they
have nothing to do with the interests of comp.text.tex subscribers. They
come from various email addresses. Is there any way I can stop them
getting to me? (I'm on Ubuntu with newsgroup feed from
news.eternal-september.org).
Thanks for any ideas --- Peter W.
The pan newsreader allows for setting up filters so that every few months
you are far less likely to hear mysogynistic macroagressions that flood,
archive.org and elsewhere. All you need do is right-click and set up a
scoring rule to ignore the sender forever. This will minimize the noise.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(newsreader)
--
Convert dot for email replies