Brackets in Times font
MadYuv
2017-04-04 09:15:15 UTC
Hi All,

In my document, times font is my default, for this I've used the below coding:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times,mathptm}
\begin{document}

Writing out probability results uses notation: sets and summation.
This section contains a brief tutorial. A first building block is
the notion of a finite set; for example, (a)\quad $(a)$
\end{document}

In this, in text brackets are coming in times font but the same came in CMR family in math, but I should require the same in Times family, how can I achieve this? please suggest...

Sincerely,
MadYuv...
Ulrike Fischer
2017-04-04 09:29:16 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Hi All,
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times,mathptm}
\begin{document}
Writing out probability results uses notation: sets and summation.
This section contains a brief tutorial. A first building block is
the notion of a finite set; for example, (a)\quad $(a)$
\end{document}
In this, in text brackets are coming in times font but the same came in CMR family in math, but I should require the same in Times family, how can I achieve this? please suggest...
The parentheses must be stretchable, so that they can be used also
with large equations, so it is not a good idea to use the
parentheses from a text font. You could try newtxmath instead of
mathptm:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{newtxmath}

http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
MadYuv
2017-04-04 09:44:26 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by MadYuv
[...]
Thanks Ulrike, I've already tried the same, it looks very odd for the Palatino fonts:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{palatino,mathpazo}
\usepackage{newtxmath}
\begin{document}

Writing out probability results uses notation: sets and summation.
This section contains a brief tutorial. A first building block is
the notion of a finite set; for example, (a)\quad $(a)$
\end{document}

Please suggest...

MadYuv...
Ulrike Fischer
2017-04-04 11:12:55 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by MadYuv
[...]
palatino is a different font. newtxmath is for times, try newpxmath
with palatino.
MadYuv
thanks for your quick reply...It meant that getting brackets in the same text font is not possible (because of affecting the stretchable brackets), so we should substitute equivalent math font...correct???
Wolfgang Jeltsch
2017-04-04 15:59:26 UTC
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by MadYuv
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by MadYuv
[...]
You should use a math font that fits the text font you use. If Times is
your text font, use the newtx package for setting the Math font; if
Palatino is your text font, use the newpx package for setting the Math
font. (The package names are newtx and newpx, not newtxmath and
newpxmath.)

All the best,
Wolfgang
MadYuv
2017-04-05 08:39:29 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Jeltsch
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by MadYuv
Post by Ulrike Fischer
Post by MadYuv
[...]
I got error while compilation for the below code:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times,newtx}

\begin{document}

Writing out probability results uses notation: sets and summation.
This section contains a brief tutorial. A first building block is
the notion of a finite set; for example, (\textit{a})\quad $(a)$
\end{document}

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.17 (MiKTeX 2.9.6210)
! LaTeX Error: File `newtx.sty' not found.
Piet van Oostrum
2017-04-05 23:10:58 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Post by Wolfgang Jeltsch
You should use a math font that fits the text font you use. If Times is
your text font, use the newtx package for setting the Math font; if
Palatino is your text font, use the newpx package for setting the Math
font. (The package names are newtx and newpx, not newtxmath and
newpxmath.)
All the best,
Wolfgang
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times,newtx}
\begin{document}
Writing out probability results uses notation: sets and summation.
This section contains a brief tutorial. A first building block is
the notion of a finite set; for example, (\textit{a})\quad $(a)$
\end{document}
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.17 (MiKTeX 2.9.6210)
! LaTeX Error: File `newtx.sty' not found.
It is newtxmath, not newtx. In fact IMHO the best would be:
\usepackage{newtxtext,newtxmath}

The confusion is because Wolfgang uses the word 'package' to describe
the 'bundle', not the '\usepackage' file. The 'newtx' bundle (also
called 'package') contains the files newtxtext.sty and newtxmath.sty.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet-***@pietvanoostrum.com>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/
PGP key: [8DAE142BE17999C4]
Peter Flynn
2017-04-04 20:22:36 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Hi All,
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times,mathptm}
I'm curious about this. I thought mathptm (actually mathptmx) was the
*replacement* for times, not an addition to it. What is the effect of
using both instead of just mathptmx?

///Peter
MadYuv
got the output correct for text but the math brackets are came from CMR family...
Jean-Côme Charpentier
2017-04-05 15:58:50 UTC
Post by MadYuv
Hi All,
\documentclass{article} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{times,mathptm}
I'm curious about this. I thought mathptm (actually mathptmx) was
the *replacement* for times, not an addition to it. What is the
effect of using both instead of just mathptmx?
In fact, mathptmx isn't really a 'replacement' for times. About the
main font text, it's strictly the same behavior: using times (phv family).
* mathptmx adds a 'times' math font.
* times adds a sans serif font (helvetica... why not) and a tt font
(courier... euarggl).

Jean-Côme Charpentier