Fixed above and below space for all display equations
MadYuv
2017-05-03 04:38:38 UTC
My requirement is to fix all display equation above and below space to some value (e.g., 18pt from text base to equation base). For this, I am using the below tags:

\documentclass[10pt]{book}
\usepackage{amsmath,graphicx,lipsum}
\makeatletter
\renewcommand\normalsize{%
\@setfontsize\normalsize\@xpt\@xiipt
\abovedisplayskip 6\p@
\abovedisplayshortskip \z@
\belowdisplayshortskip 3\p@
\belowdisplayskip 6\p@
\let\@listi\@listI}
\makeatother
\normalsize
\begin{document}

Cincinnati for their help with this book, especially
Zvi Biener, Vanessa Carbonell, Anthony Chemero, Valerie
Hardcastle, John McEvoy, Thomas Polger, Robert Richardson, Robert
Skipper, and George Uetz in biology. Guilherme Sanches de Oliveira
provided research assistance and help with indexing. I also
received tremendously helpful feedback from the graduate students
and faculty who participated in my seminar on idealization in the
autumn of 2014, including some of those named above, as well as
Frank Faries, Maurice Lamb, Vicente Raja Galian, Walter
including some of Stepanenko,
\begin{align}
a+b=c
\end{align}

Cincinnati for their help with this book, especially
Zvi Biener, Vanessa Carbonell, Anthony Chemero, Valerie
Hardcastle, John McEvoy, Thomas Polger, Robert Richardson, Robert
Skipper, and George Uetz in biology. Guilherme Sanches de Oliveira
provided research assistance and help with indexing. I also
received tremendously helpful feedback from the graduate students
and faculty who participated in my seminar on idealization in the
autumn of 2014, including some of those named above, as well as
Frank Faries, Maurice Lamb, Vicente Raja Galian, Walter
including some of Stepanenko,
\begin{align}
\dfrac{\displaystyle\int\sum1+2}{3+4}a+b=c
\end{align}
Cincinnati for their help with this book, especially
Zvi Biener, Vanessa Carbonell, Anthony Chemero, Valerie
Hardcastle, John McEvoy, Thomas Polger, Robert Richardson, Robert
Skipper, and George Uetz in biology. Guilherme Sanches de Oliveira
provided research assistance and help with indexing. I also
received tremendously helpful feedback from the graduate students
and faculty who participated in my seminar on idealization in the
autumn of 2014, including some of those named above, as well as
Frank Faries, Maurice Lamb, Vicente Raja Galian, Walter
including some of Stepanenko,

\end{document}

It was working well for simple equations, but if any equations having fractions (\frac), \sum, \int (these symbols having any limits) etc, then the space was varying, but I need 18pts should fix what ever comes in equation content. How can I achieve this? Please suggest...

Thanks in advance for all your valuable suggestions...

MadYuv
s***@gmail.com
Any suggestions???
Donald Arseneau
2017-05-12 05:27:00 UTC
Post by MadYuv
My requirement is to fix all display equation above and below space to
some value (e.g., 18pt from text base to equation base). For this, I
\renewcommand\normalsize{%
\makeatother
\normalsize
\begin{document}
First, \belowdisplayshortskip doesn't do what you think, and it doesn't
do anything useful. Set it the same as \belowdisplayskip (6pt). (The
sample doesn't exercise either "short" skip.)
Post by MadYuv
including some of Stepanenko,
\begin{align}
\dfrac{\displaystyle\int\sum1+2}{3+4} a+b=c
\end{align}
It was working well for simple equations, but if any equations having
fractions (\frac), \sum, \int (these symbols having any limits) etc,
then the space was varying, but I need 18pts should fix what ever
comes in equation content.
Your problem is that the "equation base" is the base of the main line:
the bottoms of a, b, and c. The bottom of the equation is not the base,
just as the bottom of "g" is not the base.

TeX will not use the baseline and depth of "3+4" for the ensuing baseline
skip calculation, and I don't think there is any way to accurately
fake it. Surely you don't really want exactly that though -- it is
a bug that MS Word did/does? use subscripts for baseline spacing.

If you can live with simply reducing the crowding, set
\lineskip=2pt
\lineskiplimit=2pt
(that is \@xiipt - \@xpt)

Also you can throw some \struts (or \mathstruts or \deepstruts) in at
places judiciously, like in the denomitors of fractions...

Or automatically like...

\let\savefrac\frac
\renewcommand\frac[2]{\savefrac{#1}{\mathopen{\mathstrut}#2}}
\let\savedfrac\dfrac
\renewcommand\dfrac[2]{\savedfrac{#1}{\mathopen{\mathstrut}#2}}
--
Donald Arseneau ***@triumf.ca