How to render text using xelatex (preferably so it looks ok with the default font)
Philipp Klaus Krause
2017-07-05 16:46:02 UTC
Hello,

I want to use xelatex to turn some latex source into a .pdf.
Unfortunately, xelatex tends to just output white space whenever it
encounters characters not in the default font, and does not
automatically fall back to other fonts (unlike text editors, or even the
console).
The text is mostly latin, with a few cyrillic, chinese and farsi words
in it.
While I've read about the ucharclasses workaround, it seems to require
quite some knowledge of fonts to use, especially, if the various fonts
one has to use are meant to look good next to each other.

Does anyone have some simple solution that I can use to get xelatex to
process text correctly (preferably with latin rendered using the default
xelatex computer modern font, and the other scriopts rendered in
something that looks good when combined with the default font)? Maybe
some ten or twenty lines I could just paste into my document to get
xelatex to be able to handle text?

Philipp
Philipp Klaus Krause
2017-07-05 21:23:26 UTC
A recommendation on which fonts (for chinese, cyrillic, persian) tend to
go well with latin modern would already be helpful.

Philipp
Philipp Klaus Krause
2017-07-06 11:29:04 UTC
Post by Philipp Klaus Krause
A recommendation on which fonts (for chinese, cyrillic, persian) tend to
go well with latin modern would already be helpful.
Philipp
For now I went with

Liberation Serif for Cyrillic,
Amiri for Persian,
AR PL KaitiM GB for Chinese.

Looks ok-ish, but not perfect. I'm still open to suggestions.

Philipp

P.S.: I had to place \fontspec manually, as ucharclasses hangs for me.