references alphabetically and from older to latest
Add Reply
AS
2017-07-18 18:34:46 UTC
I want references appear alphabetically, if author has two or more papers, I want appears in references alphabetically and from older to latest.

;;****************************
I use
\usepackage[natbibapa]{apacite}
\bibliographystyle{apalike}
\bibliography{./references/ref}
;;****************************

this style make references appear alphabetically but not from older to latest.
jfh
2017-07-19 01:29:52 UTC
Post by AS
I want references appear alphabetically, if author has two or more papers, I want appears in references alphabetically and from older to latest.
;;****************************
I use
\usepackage[natbibapa]{apacite}
\bibliographystyle{apalike}
\bibliography{./references/ref}
;;****************************
this style make references appear alphabetically but not from older to latest.
I got around this problem by putting this at the beginning of my bib file, as recommended by the author of BibTeX:

@preamble{"\providecommand{\noopsort}[1]{} "}

Without \noopsort these 2 papers by the same author appeared in the alphabetical order of their titles, not the logical order:

@string{PRSA = "Proc. Roy. Soc. London Ser. A"}

@Article{Ta54a,
author = {Taylor, G. I.},
title = {{\noopsort{nn}} {T}he two coefficients of viscosity for an
incompressible fluid containing air bubbles},
journal = PRSA,
year = 1954,
volume = 226,
pages = {34--37}
}

@Article{Ta54b,
author = {Taylor, G. I.},
title = {Note on the volume viscosity of water
containing bubbles},
journal = PRSA,
year = 1954,
volume = 226,
pages = {38--39}
}

\noopsort also gets Lighthill's works in chronological order. His early works were published under the name Lighthill, M.J. and his later ones under the name Lighthill, James. But coping with him is easier than with people like a Russian scientist whose surname was spelt Jous{\'{e}} when publishing in a French journal, Zhuze in an American one, if you want to ensure that your readers realise it's the same person.
AS
2017-07-19 14:31:11 UTC
Post by AS
I want references appear alphabetically, if author has two or more papers, I want appears in references alphabetically and from older to latest.
;;****************************
I use
\usepackage[natbibapa]{apacite}
\bibliographystyle{apalike}
\bibliography{./references/ref}
;;****************************
this style make references appear alphabetically but not from older to latest.
Thanks, now I make this, but does not work

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
@preamble{"\providecommand{\noopsort}[1]{} "}
@Article{schad2012,
author = {Schad, TA and Tritschler, A and Penn, MJ},
title = {{\noopsort{nn}} {M}ulti-Wavelength Spectropolarimetry of a Sunspot Superpenumbra with FIRS and IBIS},
journal = {Meeting Abstracts{\#} 220},
year = {2012}
}
@Article{Schad2013,
author = {schad, TA and Penn, MJ and Lin, H},
journal = {ApJ},
title = {{He I vector magnetometry of field-aligned superpenumbral fibrils}},
year = {2013}
}
AS