Future for embedding movies in presentations?
Add Reply
Turgut D.
2017-08-02 13:41:02 UTC
I am a big fan of using beamer for scientific presentations. Over the
years, I have become increasingly reliant on embedding movies and
animations in my presentations. Various packages that allow this
(flashmovie, media9) work reasonably well.

However, as Adobe flash security issues become more and more prominent
and Adobe is pulling the plug on flash, I keep bumping into problems
where most computers do not allow me to run these movies.

Is there an on-going transition to other methods? Is there a future that
would allow us to continue using movies in these presentations? I can
not find anything myself.

thanks,
Scott Pakin
2017-08-02 18:50:08 UTC
Post by Turgut D.
Is there an on-going transition to other methods? Is there a future that
would allow us to continue using movies in these presentations? I can
not find anything myself.
Acrobat can play movies in a variety of formats, not just Flash. Try
embedding an MPEG movie with media9.

-- Scott
David Topham
...and the other issue that is frustrating is that most browsers do not (seem to) have the functionality in Acrobat Reader, so the embedded movies cannot then be easily shown without downloading them to a computer that has Acrobat Reader. I wish there was an option for showing them directly in a browser rendition (using plugin?) of the PDF!
Turgut D.
2017-08-10 14:23:26 UTC
Post by Scott Pakin
Post by Turgut D.
Is there an on-going transition to other methods? Is there a future that
would allow us to continue using movies in these presentations? I can
not find anything myself.
Acrobat can play movies in a variety of formats, not just Flash. Try
embedding an MPEG movie with media9.
-- Scott
I am confused about this. I use a variety of formats but I always end
up with similar restrictions. Are you able to view them in any acrobat
reader (greater than which version?)?

Thanks.

Turgut
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
2017-08-11 15:29:35 UTC
In article <***@force.stwing.upenn.edu>, ***@ugdc.org
says...
Post by Turgut D.
Post by Scott Pakin
Acrobat can play movies in a variety of formats, not just Flash.
Try embedding an MPEG movie with media9.
-- Scott
I am confused about this. I use a variety of formats but I always end
up with similar restrictions. Are you able to view them in any acrobat
reader (greater than which version?)?
Unfortunately not, SumatraPDF for example seems unable to play embedded
media files (sound or movie). Shame, because I use it as default pdf-
viewer (doesn't block opened pdf-files leading to stupid error messages
during pdfLaTeX-runs as acrobat reader(!) does :-( ).
--
DIN EN ISO 9241-13: 9.5.3 Error messages should convey what is wrong,
what corrective actions can be taken, and the cause of the error.