pdflatex can't find font
t***@binary.net
2003-08-21 17:07:17 UTC
I'm using a freshly-installed MikTex and am having problems using
pdflatex with with times package. When I run it, I get the following:

####################
Warning: pdflatex (file psfonts.map): cannot open font map file
] (mts_monitoring_scripts.aux) )name: ptmr8r, dpi=600, bdpi=600,
mag=magstep(
)
makemf --verbose ptmr8r
cannot find ptmr8r source file.
ttf2pk -q -n ptmr8r 600
hbf2gf -q -p ptmr8r 600
makepk: don't know how to make ptmr8r.pk!

Warning: pdflatex (file ptmr8r): Font ptmr8r at 600 not found
name: ptmr8r, dpi=720, bdpi=600, mag=magstep(1.0)
makemf --verbose ptmr8r
cannot find ptmr8r source file.
ttf2pk -q -n ptmr8r 720
hbf2gf -q -p ptmr8r 720
makepk: don't know how to make ptmr8r.pk!

Warning: pdflatex (file ptmr8r): Font ptmr8r at 720 not found
name: ptmr8r, dpi=1037, bdpi=600, mag=magstep(3.0)
makemf --verbose ptmr8r
cannot find ptmr8r source file.
ttf2pk -q -n ptmr8r 1037
hbf2gf -q -p ptmr8r 1037
makepk: don't know how to make ptmr8r.pk!

Warning: pdflatex (file ptmr8r): Font ptmr8r at 1037 not found
Output written on mts_monitoring_scripts.pdf (1 page, 1844 bytes).
Transcript written on mts_monitoring_scripts.log.

####################

I've done this before with MikTex (and on Textex) and have had no
problems. Where is my ptmr8r font? Where can I find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated . . .
--
Mike Hostetler
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
Hans Fr. Nordhaug
2003-08-21 17:54:29 UTC
Post by t***@binary.net
I'm using a freshly-installed MikTex and am having problems using
####################
Warning: pdflatex (file psfonts.map): cannot open font map file
] (mts_monitoring_scripts.aux) )name: ptmr8r, dpi=600, bdpi=600,
mag=magstep(
)
makemf --verbose ptmr8r
cannot find ptmr8r source file.
ttf2pk -q -n ptmr8r 600
hbf2gf -q -p ptmr8r 600
makepk: don't know how to make ptmr8r.pk!
[cut]

Have you updated the font map files?
Try running "initexmf --mkmaps".
pdflatex shouldn't make pk/bitmap fonts for times.
Post by t***@binary.net
I've done this before with MikTex (and on Textex) and have had no
problems. Where is my ptmr8r font? Where can I find it?
That's because the font map file maintenance procedure has changed - see
http://www.miktex.org/2.2/mkfntmap.html

Regards, Hans
--
The UK (La)TeX FAQ - http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
The Not So Short ... - http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf
TeX at ODP - http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Typesetting/TeX/
t***@binary.net
2003-08-21 18:50:12 UTC
Post by Hans Fr. Nordhaug
Have you updated the font map files?
Try running "initexmf --mkmaps".
pdflatex shouldn't make pk/bitmap fonts for times.
I didn't try that, but it worked -- now pdflatex works.
Post by Hans Fr. Nordhaug
Post by t***@binary.net
I've done this before with MikTex (and on Textex) and have had no
problems. Where is my ptmr8r font? Where can I find it?
That's because the font map file maintenance procedure has changed - see
http://www.miktex.org/2.2/mkfntmap.html
Hmm . . . I didn't know that it haD changed (obviously). How come Miktex
didn't do that when I installed it?

Oh well, it's working now . . .
Post by Hans Fr. Nordhaug
Regards, Hans
-- mikeh

Mike Hostetler
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
Walter Schmidt
2003-08-21 22:53:54 UTC
Post by t***@binary.net
I'm using a freshly-installed MikTex and am having problems using
pdflatex with with times package.
Support for the Times fonts is a _required_ part of any
LaTeX system and must work out-of-the-box. If it doesn't,
complain to the author of MikTeX. Fixing this must not be
left to the user!

just my 2c
Walter Schmidt
(maintainer of PSNFSS)
t***@binary.net
2003-08-22 18:53:35 UTC
Post by Walter Schmidt
Support for the Times fonts is a _required_ part of any
LaTeX system and must work out-of-the-box. If it doesn't,
complain to the author of MikTeX. Fixing this must not be
left to the user!
My sentiments exactly . . .

I submitted a bug on SF and got the response back that I was using an old
version of Miktex, that newer versions of the updater worked better.

not sure I buy that, but what can I do?
--
Mike Hostetler
***@binary.net