Creating Outline Font
Add Reply
Marc van Dongen
2017-05-26 10:03:57 UTC
Hosagoin,

I am making some postscript outline shapes for the _Foundational_ hand, which is based on an English Caroline Minuscule.

This are going well but I'd like to turn this into a font the easy way.

Is there a tool that takes in a list of names of the letters and some file that describes the outlines of these letters and turns it into an OTF font?

If not, is there anybody who is willing to help me with it?

FWIW I am not really interested in learning how to create fonts and I don't really need the font. However, with all letters almost done, it seems like a nice thing to make them available as a free font.

I put an example on http://csweb.ucc.ie/~dongen/output.pdf. The example shows some of the letters and some non-existing letters, which are based on an arcade sequence. This was all done with metapost but without metapost pen shapes.

TIA

Marc van Dongen
Scott Pakin
2017-05-26 18:59:36 UTC
Post by Marc van Dongen
I am making some postscript outline shapes for the _Foundational_ hand, which is based on an English Caroline Minuscule.
This are going well but I'd like to turn this into a font the easy way.
Is there a tool that takes in a list of names of the letters and some file that describes the outlines of these letters and turns it into an OTF font?
Do you want the result to appear as outlines or filled in?

If you've been working with Metapost sans pen shapes, it might not be
too hard to get your font into a form acceptable to mf2pt1
(http://www.ctan.org/pkg/mf2pt1). I believe FontForge
(https://fontforge.github.io/) can the convert the resulting Type 1
font to OTF.

-- Scott
Marc van Dongen
2017-05-27 05:20:36 UTC
Hi Scott,
Post by Scott Pakin
Do you want the result to appear as outlines or filled in?
I'd like them to be filled in.
Post by Scott Pakin
If you've been working with Metapost sans pen shapes, it might not be
too hard to get your font into a form acceptable to mf2pt1
(http://www.ctan.org/pkg/mf2pt1). I believe FontForge
(https://fontforge.github.io/) can the convert the resulting Type 1
font to OTF.
Thanks. I can output all shapes in postscript form as a collection of
counterclockwise spline sequences for the shapes and clockwise sequences
for the cutouts. My main problem is that I don't want to spend a lot of
time figuring out how to make the font. (I spent a bit of time on that
some time ago without much success.)

I'll have a look at mf2pt2 and fontforge.

Regards,

Marc
s***@gmail.com
2017-05-27 05:15:56 UTC
Post by Marc van Dongen
Hosagoin,
I am making some postscript outline shapes for the _Foundational_ hand, which is based on an English Caroline Minuscule.
This are going well but I'd like to turn this into a font the easy way.
Is there a tool that takes in a list of names of the letters and some file that describes the outlines of these letters and turns it into an OTF font?
There's TTX included into fonttools (https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools).
It converts OTF font into a textual XML representation and back. I don't know
if it's suitable for font development though.
Sergei Golovan
Marc van Dongen
2017-05-27 05:22:11 UTC
Hi Sergei,
Post by s***@gmail.com
There's TTX included into fonttools (https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools).
It converts OTF font into a textual XML representation and back. I don't know
if it's suitable for font development though.
Thanks. That sounds interesting. I'll have a look.

Regards,

Marc