forcing a page break in the middle of a long footnote
David Dalton
2017-06-12 04:35:12 UTC
My supervisor has a page that has a small amount of body text
and a long footnote consisting of two paragraphs. Is there
any way to force the footnote to break across two pages
and to choose the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.

I did some google searches related to this and most people
seemed to have the opposite problem; they didn’t want
a long footnote to be broken across two pages.

But from one google result, it might help to put

\interfootnotelinepenalty=0

in the preamble. But that doesn’t solve the problem of
choosing the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
“But your eyes like midnight fireflies
Light up the trenches where my heart lies" (Sarah McLachlan)
David Dalton
2017-06-12 04:51:53 UTC
Post by David Dalton
My supervisor has a page that has a small amount of body text
and a long footnote consisting of two paragraphs. Is there
any way to force the footnote to break across two pages
and to choose the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
I did some google searches related to this and most people
seemed to have the opposite problem; they didn’t want
a long footnote to be broken across two pages.
But from one google result, it might help to put
\interfootnotelinepenalty=0
in the preamble. But that doesn’t solve the problem of
choosing the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
I forgot to say that this is in LaTeX.
Michael Forsythe
2017-06-12 10:25:07 UTC
Post by David Dalton
My supervisor has a page that has a small amount of body text
and a long footnote consisting of two paragraphs. Is there
any way to force the footnote to break across two pages
and to choose the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
I did some google searches related to this and most people
seemed to have the opposite problem; they didn’t want
a long footnote to be broken across two pages.
But from one google result, it might help to put
\interfootnotelinepenalty=0
in the preamble. But that doesn’t solve the problem of
choosing the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
How about putting \vspace{99in} or such between the two paragraphs?
This example for me does what I think you want.

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{lipsum}

\begin{document}

\lipsum[1]

Here's a paragraph in which\footnote{\lipsum[21]} I place a footnote.

\lipsum[2]

Now another one\footnote{\lipsum[33]

\vspace{99in}

\lipsum[34]} with a huge space in the middle.

\lipsum[3] \lipsum[4] \lipsum[5] \lipsum[6] Another\footnote{note}.
\lipsum[7] \lipsum[8] \lipsum[9]
\end{document}

If that's not good enough, you might want to split up the footnote
manually, and place the second half of it with some text you know
will be on the correct page, but forcing the marker to be absent
with something like:

\newcommand
\markerlessfootnote[1]{%
\begingroup%
\renewcommand\thefootnote{}\footnote{#1}%
\addtocounter{footnote}{-1}%
\endgroup%
}

That would be rather fragile if earlier text changed or shuffled,
though.
Peter Flynn
2017-06-13 18:54:28 UTC
Post by David Dalton
My supervisor has a page that has a small amount of body text
and a long footnote consisting of two paragraphs. Is there
any way to force the footnote to break across two pages
and to choose the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
Yes, but it needs manual handling, and you'll probably have to
experiment once or twice to get it looking right. You don't have to
resort to adding space.
Post by David Dalton
I did some google searches related to this and most people
seemed to have the opposite problem; they didn’t want
a long footnote to be broken across two pages.
It's LaTeX's behaviour when the footnote is long and the reference point
is close to the bottom of the page.

Note that you should NEVER do this in a one-sided document (eg 'article'
class) because if it's printed one-sided, the reader would have to turn
the page to read the rest of the footnote. ONLY do this in a two-sided
document (eg 'book' or 'report'; or another class intended for two-sided
printing).
Post by David Dalton
But from one google result, it might help to put
\interfootnotelinepenalty=0
in the preamble. But that doesn’t solve the problem of
choosing the break point to be between the two
paragraphs.
The trick is to separate the insertion of the reference mark
(\footnotemark) from the text (\footnotetext). I recommend that you add
something before the second paragraph of footnote so that the reader
doesn't look for the [missing] reference mark on the second page.

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\begin{document}
\setcounter{page}{2}
\lipsum[1]
\textbf{Manual text of Lipsum[2].}
Nam dui ligula, fringilla a, euismod sodales, sollicitudin vel,
wisi. Morbi auctor lorem non justo. Nam lacus libero, pretium at,
lobortis vitae, ultricies et, tellus. Donec aliquet, tortor sed
accumsan bibendum, erat ligula aliquet magna, vitae ornare odio metus
a mi. Morbi ac orci et nisl hendrerit
mollis.\footnotemark\ Suspendisse ut massa. Cras nec
ante. Pellentesque a nulla. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis
dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Aliquam tincidunt
urna. Nulla ullamcorper vestibulum turpis. Pellentesque cursus luctus
mauris.\par
\lipsum[3]
\lipsum[4]
\textbf{Manual text of Lipsum[5].}
Fusce mauris. Vestibulum luctus nibh at lectus. Sed bibendum, nulla a
faucibus semper, leo velit ultricies tellus, ac venenatis arcu wisi
vel nisl. Vestibulum diam.\footnotetext{\textbf{Manual text of
Lipsum[80].} Nunc velit augue, scelerisque dignissim,
lobortis et, aliquam in, risus. In eu eros. Vestibulum ante ipsum
primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae;
Curabitur vulputate elit viverra augue. Mauris fringilla, tortor sit
amet malesuada mollis, sapien mi dapibus odio, ac imperdiet ligula
enim eget nisl. Quisque vitae pede a pede aliquet suscipit.
Phasellus tellus pede, viverra vestibulum, gravida id, laoreet in,
justo. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes,
nascetur ridiculus mus.\par [Continued from p.\thepage]
Integer commodo luctus lectus. Mauris justo.
Duis varius eros. Sed quam. Cras lacus eros, rutrum eget, varius
quis, convallis iaculis, velit. Mauris imperdiet, metus at tristique
venenatis, purus neque pellentesque mauris, a ultrices elit lacus
nec tortor. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per
conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Praesent malesuada. Nam
lacus lectus, auctor sit amet, malesuada vel, elementum eget, metus.
Duis neque pede, facilisis eget, egestas elementum, nonummy id,
neque.}
Aliquam pellentesque, augue quis sagittis
posuere, turpis lacus congue quam, in hendrerit risus eros eget
felis. Maecenas eget erat in sapien mattis porttitor. Vestibulum
porttitor. Nulla facilisi. Sed a turpis eu lacus
commodo facilisis. Morbi fringilla, wisi in dignissim interdum, justo
lectus sagittis dui, et vehicula libero dui cursus dui. Mauris tempor
ligula sed lacus. Duis cursus enim ut augue. Cras ac magna. Cras
nulla. Nulla egestas. Curabitur a leo. Quisque egestas wisi eget
nunc. Nam feugiat lacus vel est. Curabitur consectetuer.\par
\lipsum[6]
\lipsum[7]
\lipsum[8]
\lipsum[9]